Customer reviews

on 27 May 2017
As a medical reseacher, I do not have any formal training in maths / stats. So I have (tried to) self-teach ML from various resources, i.e., Tibshirani, Kevin Murphy and Bishop's textbooks. I think this book leads the pack if you are looking for simple explanation, tangible examples, and worked out numerical examples (in MATLAB code). I am able to follow this book and with the help of provided MATLAB code, model most of the ML problems given here, whereas with the other books (e.g., Bishop's) I find myself spending most of my energy wrestling with esoteric mathematical sub-concepts with virtually no worked examples to help. Although Bishop's book is my favourite from a mathematical point-of-view, I think this book is an essential for a beginner.
on 21 April 2016
Please ignore the other reviews saying you need minimal maths and that this book is an excellent read.

It is a difficult read with very little flow. Definitions and equations are presented virtually on every page with no real link between them, or indeed the reason, background and real life application for them. Examples are trivial and not really requiring the formulae presented to solve, whereas the multitude of end of chapter questions (posed at degree level) do not get worked examples which could be used to solve them. The reader of this book alone, without previous work, has no chance whatsoever of answering these. Are answers to the questions available? If not Ibelieve the questions provide no added value.

The book is however, a great door stop. It provides a valuable compendium of formulae and definitions. Not a lot else though.
on 16 July 2012
A very clear and concise book. I highly recommend this it.The Concepts are explained well with sufficient examples. One of the best books out there for machine learning.
on 21 November 2012
I am doing course related to machine learning and this book helps me with the study. I also have bishop but that book has too much math and I cannot follow. This one is explained in the simpler way. Less proof. Give you the intermediate detail on topics. Not for beginner or expert.
on 19 March 2015
A somewhat advanced book. Useful if you want to know more than what your statistical program libraries deliver more or less automatically. Possible more for the evolving specialist than anyone for whom the topic is more of a hobby.
on 19 August 2015