Customer reviews

on 9 July 2012
This structural geology textbook - at a very reasonable price - is a high quality presentation with frequent photographs, figures and graphs, all in colour, which make this book book fascinating & practical whilst at the same time being quite probing & analytical with the mechanics elements. Each chapter comes with a Summary & a Further Reading List and several review questions for the student. It provides an up to date, refreshing & comprehensive view on structural geology. The book is linked to a web-based resource with additional material. I studied engineering geology in the late 50's & I am continually impressed by the advances made in understanding geology in the past 50 years.
on 13 March 2013
If your studying or intending to study degree level structural geology then this text is the book for you. Concise and packed with excellent descriptions and examples and the bonus with having your own copy is you can mark up all the pages and text lines with your study notes ... Trust me .... You'll need to!
on 9 July 2011
Perfect illustrations, clear and easy text, concise.......my only regret is that I didn't have this book when I was an undergraduate. Well done to the author.
on 29 August 2010
I am very glad to have this greatful book.This book is the best stuctural geolgy book that I have ever seen.It is well illustrated, well written and carefully designed.
I recommend it for any one interested in geology as it will be the backbone for him/her.
on 3 August 2015
The text is well illustrated and this is a Physical analysis of Geology, since Holmes Principles that is a good action, there a many specific structural texts such as petroleum geology Arabia, but this is welcome, if Norwegian oriented, which means the structures early Cambrian are somewhat poorly assessed a very poor map at 361, but a very good map on North Sea salts. You cannot leave the Cambrian dome and melagne slides off a Caledonian transect. So that process is incomplete. There is also a suggestion that the USA made side shear faults, that hardly needs comment, it is not necessary to lay fame to people, we all know Basin and Range work and it is a derivation of fracture geology UK and Alps, not its origin, physically and Science, and incomplete as are Africa and Australia in other works and we all know Forest Hydrology USA, they did not invent and progressed it partly with UK Austria etc. So the physics and principles and the diagrams are well met to the subject, it is up to date and does attempt a general thesis and debunks some myths. It just needs a few suggestions removed and completions of works added that explain the features. A book I would have expected from Norwegian source knowing the literature, blinkered somewhat by oil search and local slips. Read and be careful and it is fine but all Geology requires other literature as the rock mass lithology, petrology and overturned strata are complex issues. None of us can provide a detailed complete world review, a fault of most general USA publications, again Cambridge Press has fallen into the rift, the editors should have referred those issues back for completion, typical. As yet Scotland has to be surveyed in the north, Assynt for example does not explain Torridon, Dartmoor, the east and Atholl north east yet to be surveyed. See Pantin for schist structure contexts to Schiehallion BGS. That is where it began and it still needs completion then Norway Storegga might become explicit. Otherwise enjoy and learn as a Geology University Fresher text leading onward with research documents. Link this to petroleum structures and strata text and for the purpose it is good. Quite a task resolved.
on 2 May 2013
I am a geologist working in the oil and gas industry for 7 years, I wish i had a text book as good as this when I was at University, it's absolutely suberb.

The diagrams and description are brilliant and I highly recommend.
on 25 May 2016
Upon recommendation of my lecturers I purchased the kindle edition of this book. Having it on Kindle means that you can enlarge the images which is very helpful when you have poor eyesight like myself. It's easier to carry around on a kindle too! A very informative text book which will see me through my degree.
on 21 March 2014
This book is just good! It is een must have for every geologist. Nice pictures and explains everything simple. Yes!
on 31 December 2015
Got this for my daughter who is doing a geology degree for exams and this has helped her pass her exams.
on 4 May 2015
Clearly explained processes, techniques etc.