on 9 May 2016
I used the old edition of this book as an English teacher for years. It has an explanation of the grammar on the left and exercises for the student to fill in on the right, with answers at the back.
It is one of the old trusty books you can always keep in your teaching bag for emergency use, as it covered all grammatical issues and explained everything so clearly. I frequently advised students to buy it, either to study with me or, more often, for independent study, as it works absolutely great for students to teach themselves grammar in a systematic way while focusing on speaking skills in lessons.
This new edition has been completely ruined by someone who clearly has literally no experience either as a teacher or as a student of English as a foreign language.
It is printed on that shiny paper that weighs half a ton and that you cannot write on properly in pencil. When you try to rub something out it turns into a complete mess. Despite being a larger book than the old one, the pages feel far more cramped and there is less space to squeeze the answers in than the old one had.
The grammar explanations are somehow less clear than they were in the old edition, even though I cannot work out what they have changed, other than to add in random smears of light blue here and there so that it isn't just a black and white book. Adding colour printing makes it more expensive, for no useful reason at all.
if you can find an old edition of this book, jump at it, that one got 5 stars.
on 19 September 2017
I've used the Third Edition for several years to teach an ESOL class. The Fourth edition doesn't seem to have changed much but enough to mean that students with a second hand Third edition have exercises which are trivially different from this. Irritating. However, as a textbook I find it very satisfactory with clear explanations and examples. A great deal of English grammar is covered and the "in use" aspect is as realistic as any other textbook. However, I think it's expensive.
on 19 September 2017
I am from Spain and as a english book for me and for a lot of people it is the best. The blue one means intermediate level that in the most of the things it is where I am. According to many forums this books are highly recomended because they are very complete and you can find whatever kind of aditional information in the end of this book.

I'm right now learning english in an academy too and my teacher recommended to me this book's collection because it is the best way to learn english by your own from your house.

If you want the complete collection you must get:
-Essential Grammar in Use. Although my english is a bit better than this level, it is good to have got it to practise from zero.
-Advanced Grammar in Use. Amazing

It is always the same method and it works. First they explain you grammar and in the next page you have a lot of exercices to complete. To correct it just go in the end of this book and find the solution.

Product recommended 100%.
review image review image review image review image review image
on 26 July 2013
Murphy's grammar books have been recommended to me since I started my TEFL course 2 years ago. I love the Cambridge format, one page of explanation followed by a page of exercises. Ideal for self-study, it is also an indispensable tool for the English teacher to clarify particular points of grammar or of expression. I am very glad to have added it to my library and will definitely recommend it to others.
on 24 June 2017
on 6 October 2017
Five stars!
on 5 March 2017
Good!
on 11 March 2017
Excellent book!
on 6 September 2017
A MUST for English grammar teaching.
on 16 March 2017