on 14 September 2013
If you're a foreign person, looking for a grammar book, this one is for you. This book is advisable by a lot of school in London. You have for each lesson (almost 150) a little explanation to understand and after few exercise to practice !!!!
on 24 May 2013
As a book for someone curious about grammar, perhaps wanting to learn to write and speak with better grammar this is fine. It has topics laid out as "units" (lessons) with examples for the student to work. But at its price, size and coming from Cambridge I expected something more comprehensive. I was particularly interested in topics such as the correct use of the subjunctive and the possessive pronoun "ones". I still don't know if "one's" or "ones" is correct.

The index is substandard. You won't find "possessive pronouns", "subordinate clauses", "predicate" and things like that, making it at best difficult to refer to the contents of the lessons, assuming such lessons are there.

So it's good as far as it goes but it doesn't go far. The descriptions and "look inside" are unhelpful in choosing a book to meet particular needs so it might be best to browse a selection at a bookship or library before buying.
on 27 April 2016
I used the FIRST edition of Murphy when I was a teenager, 30 years ago!!
It is the ONLY English book I kept since that time.

I still know some of the rules I learned with Murphy 30 years ago!!! They still remain with me, which is astonishing, I find.
I find he explains everything so logical, with clear rules, and that is why I never forgot them.

I learned ESL (English as a second language) and am now using this 4th edition with my daughter of 12!
My first book is literally mouldy, and its 30 year old design does not appeal to her anymore. That is why I bought it again.
Astonishingly, I find that little has changed, apart from the design.

So this is a winner book: barely unchanged and still so popular.

It is less useful if you are a native speaker, I suppose, but for English as a second language, so far, I never stumbled across anything better.
It is said to be only for intermediary students, but I assure you that that was my level of grammar when I passed my Examination for Proficiency in English (level C2).
Highly recommended.
on 4 July 2012
If you only want to buy one grammar book, this is it! Each grammar point is clearly explained and followed by exercises which not only reinforce learning but also teach everyday idiomatic expressions.
on 29 April 2016
This was the suggested grammar book for a CELTA course I'm attending.
The teachers misjudgement of my needs and character cost me a packet as it's a rather expensive purchase and unnecessarily so if it's information you're after. You see, and you will see as unfortunately there's no getting away from it, the exorbitant cost of this book relates to the printing costs because on each page there's a multitude of colours, numerous cartoons/pictures and different fonts in various sizes; all of which is overwhelming. Because of so many things vying for attention I found this book immensely difficult to read and gave up after several attempts. My guess is the author is a friend of the teacher who interviewed me for the course. Regardless, my outlay for this garish rubbish means I'm unable to purchase something suitable for a while and I'm now on the course and feel well out of my depth as I've no idea about the grammar I'm supposed to have swotted up on.
on 29 November 2012
Best Grammer book ever. Well worth the money i can assure you.

Covers everything you need to know about english language in use

x
on 13 November 2012
This isn't the latest edition, and so it has much better pictures. Despite its limitations, Murphy's Grammar is an impressive achievement. It's great how he compares and distinguishes similar words, and helps students to understand some of the supple and eloquent expressions of the language. Thank goodness the English (or Irish?) got this one together.
on 26 July 2013
Murphy's grammar books have been recommended to me since I started my TEFL course 2 years ago. I love the Cambridge format, one page of explanation followed by a page of exercises. Ideal for self-study, it is also an indispensable tool for the English teacher to clarify particular points of grammar or of expression. I am very glad to have added it to my library and will definitely recommend it to others.
on 20 December 2016
Brilliant as always. Clear explanations and examples on the left, useful exercises on the right, key, index and additional exercises at the back. Have been recommending this book to my students since the mid-1990s, and each edition keeps up the same amazing standard. A must-have for any student learning English, from Intermediate upwards.
on 12 January 2014
I would recommend this book to any student or even a teacher for self development. Only issue is.... I cannot believe how thin the paper is. I'm frightened the pages will tear after a great deal of use. I have the first book which I bought a few years ago and you can definitely tell the difference.