on 7 July 2010
This book is a seminal text about our contemporary society although it has been written a few decades ago.

De Certeau looks at our urban way of living to uncover how we find ways to make our environment our own, although it has been designed by others to different ends.

This is a most essential read to engage with and think about the city, the urban and built environment and the ways individuals and society interact with it.

Warmly recommended.

X. The Scriptural economy
XI. Quotations of Voices
XII. Reading as poaching

Part V: Ways of Believing
XIII. Believing and making people believe
XIV. The Unnamable
10 people found this helpful
|44 Comments|Report abuse
on 1 October 2017
More than the complex philosophical work than I expecyed. Perhaps good to just dip in and out of rather than a concentrated read.
on 16 October 2016
I found this book incredibly hard to read. Good luck with it.
One person found this helpful
on 4 December 2017
goodd
on 10 April 2014
Have still not read the whole thing, lots to connect, lots to think about only buy it if you have the time.......
on 30 July 2015
An incomparable presentation of the theory about the everyday in the context of resistance
on 15 August 2014
arrived well and in perfect conditions. Many thanks.
on 20 September 2015
De Certeau offers a much needed correction to many claustophobic studies in cultural theory, where users and consumers appear as passive and stupid. He shows how this generalisation fails and offers a more hopeful and even more radical view on the mostly unseen and unappreciated creativity of everyday behaviours.
One person found this helpful
on 29 May 2013
bought as a present for my son who gave me a list of books he would like so he was very pleased with it
on 9 July 2002
this is a book I've been charged library fines for. i found it impossible to read straight through, I've been dipping in, reading it in chunks as the whole starts to make sense. That's why it's so brilliant - de Certeau has watched us in our everyday lives and unravelled the way we (consciously or not) play along with or undermine the games we have to play in order to live in cities.
He's seen us at work, blagging company time and resources for our own ends, and he's noticed and explains how we behave towards each other on the tube. He's been sitting in crowds and on the train, and he's been walking the streets. He's breaking down without breaking out of the spaces we live in.
This text can change the way you perceive what surrounds you. Wherever you are, it transforms people-watching into something strange and different, because it's suddenly all structures and sequences. It's quite disorientating (remember the story about when the centipede was asked how it managed to walk, and it promply forgot) but it offers so much as compensation. I'll read this in a week and think I've got it all wrong, but that's the beauty of it.
72 people found this helpful