Format: Hardcover|Change

on 25 October 2005
As a half Finn in the UK I found some of the recipes reminicent of my grandmothers kithcen on her farm in Hyvinkaa. However the book has one major frustration/drawback. The measurements for the recipes are not in the metric or imperial systems of weights & measures but the bizarre american cup system which makes them much harder to follow (unless youn happen to be american of course). Be prepared to spend fifteen minutes converting everytime you want to make something.
This book would have gotten five stars if the measures were international.
on 13 May 1998
This excellent collection of the unique foods common to the uncommon people of Finland not only offers easy, American (not metric) measure recipes. Along with the cooking, the author provides a rich cultural background for many of the dishes, especially for holiday events. Having married a Finn, I have also enjoyed hearing her describe the memories she attaches to some of these hearty foods from the Land of the Midnight Sun.
on 13 August 2001
Out of all the Finnish cook books that I have used, this is by far the best book out there. My Finnish husband and I have sampled varied recipes from this book and all of them are delicious! Honestly, the dishes are fantastic and the recipes are easy to follow. We use the book all the time for great pancakes, to fish stew, prune tarts, ginger snaps etc, you name it! It's also an entertaining cook book with short stories and information about the Finns, their way of life and culture which also make the book a nice read!
on 21 September 2009
I have been using this book a while now and after visiting Finland alot of times I can recreate the good wholesome food that I enjoyed out there.
The measurements are American but I over came this with buying stainless steel measuring cups and wow good food.
on 18 February 2016
Took me right back to my mums kitchen and all the wonderful things she used to cook. Now I can do the same. Well worth getting.
on 9 February 2009
A very good cookbook. My Finnish want-to-be friend loved it. Forever baking out of it now, though she refuses to share -_-