It seems that one of the consequences of the dominating power of celebrity art and artists is to eclipse some of the work of our best artists of the recent past; William Scott is certainly one of our best and barely a footnote, today, in British art. This book is detailed, with some excellent reproductions and excellent articles and is well worth getting in order to review and appreciate a British artist of high stature and recent history. Books of this size and quality are not cheap, but this one is worth the price; the work has depth and is well executed; the paintings have all been made by the artist - a point worth mentioning, nowadays.
on 8 December 2005
I have today received this book. I am estatic. Its a very large and beautifully illustrated and well written. As a collector of books, especially art subjects I find for what it is very reasonably priced. If you love art buy it .You will not regret it. I love the book. I would add I have no connection at all to either the publishers or author whose work I also have on Ben Nicholson, equally good.
on 26 April 2011
Having recently acquired a silk-screen print of this artist's work, I ordered the book because I hadn't seen any other work of his in galleries or museums. The book was a revelation - a lovely combination of good reproductions and interesting biography and analysis. Nearly all the works are "in private collection, UK", so I hope I'm still alive when they begin to filter out to the public. An excellently well-written account of a striking artist.
on 25 April 2012
Brilliant book on a great painter. Well illustrated and well produced. Not too expensive. A successful birthday present for my wife.
on 14 August 2013
This is a wonderful and well deserved biography, indeed history, of it's time. My only disappointment is that it does not mention William Scott's very congenial visit to an exhibition of my own work in Enniskillen in 1977.
on 28 March 2016
My wife has loved this book
on 25 June 2016