Format: Hardcover|Change

on 10 September 2000
I came across this book in les Jardins de Luxembourg in Paris in July 2000. Many of the images were displayed on the railings around the park and the book and posters, postcards etc were being sold from a marquee in the park. The book was selling like hot cakes and I almost bought one even though it was in French and my French is rather poor! What stopped me was that I expected an English version would be published because even though the photographs speak for themselves, the text is necessary for full enjoyment of this book.
The images are superb. They are not simply a record of our planet from the sky, they are beautiful works of art, taken by someone with more than just an eye for a photograph. The text which accompanies each image is informative and sometimes thought-provoking and there is just enough text to create the correct balance in what is, after all, a book of photographs. But what a book!
on 3 October 2001
Along with other reviewers I too found the images in this book stunning, moving, and at times the most beautiful I have ever seen. it brings into sharp relief the damage we are doing to the planet we live on, whilst at the same time highlighting the beauty (which we will no doubt continue to destroy) I too was frustrated by the layout, as the photographs are spread across two pages it ruins the visual impact. Even more frustrating is the fact that in France a single page papaerback fomat is available (approx half the size) with the photographs on one page. Maddeningly this is only printed in France!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 6 August 2014
I saw Yann Arthus-Bertrand's exhibition many years ago in the yard of the Natural History Museum in London and fell in love with his photography. This wonderful postcard book is a splendid way to share these amazing images with your family and friends. The postcards are A5 size and have each a little paragraph on the back describing the image. There is, of course, space for your own message, stamp and address.

My only complaint is that it is almost impossible to rip the postcards from the book! Every time I tried I damage the postcard. You really have to spend some time folding and unfolding the book (which is quite tightly joined together) to remove the postcards.

P.S. I am a bit puzzled about the other reviews as my book has one postcard per page, not spread across two pages, and when you remove one postcard, you have still a whole book to enjoy.
on 6 April 2002
The book is split into chapters, all with a different theme, and each picture is accompanied by a short paragraph explaining where and what the photo is. These captions can be seen at the same time as the photo, due to the clever use of opening flaps. Each chapter is introduced by a longer, interesting essay. The book concentrates on the state our planet is in at the moment, and looks at this by using the photographs. This is a great book if you love looking at photos, learning about our planet or just love books! The pictures are all beautiful and you can get many hours out of browsing through this book. It is a very large book, and some photos are over a double page spread, which allows for huge photos. If you are in any doubt, buy it, you won't be disappointed :-)
on 14 January 2010
A superb gift for the person who has everything. This book makes for a wonderful desk calender. A new picture every day.
on 23 August 2012
I have bought this book as a gift for several friends & then requested a copy for myself as a Christmas present.
I am sure that most people would appreciate receiving this & it's one of those books that you can look at time & time again & still find something new to see.
All these positive reviews cannot be wrong so if you need a unique gift idea this is it.
Recommended.
on 27 December 2009
Beautiful and thought provoking images, good explanations and wee location maps - this made a great present for a host of different ages. Great visual stimulation and enough info for the inquisitive.
on 18 January 2000
This book is one the most outstanding and dramatic testimonies about our planet featuring incredible places and people. The Earth showed from a different angle by a great artist.
I met Yann Arthus Bertrand when some friends and I invited him to Peru to include this country in his fantastic project. We met not only one of the best photographers but a man deeply in love with nature and with an enormous sensitivity and passion for beautiness. Bigger than anything is his modesty.
on 20 April 2001
Like all previous reviewers, I agree that the photos, and conception of this book are/is stunning. However the extra large size of reproduction of each image, only magnifies the finite or limited quality available from 35mm transparencies. The images would have been even better presented as a single image per page, rather than across two pages - appearing crisper, with better colour and easier to appreciate. That every single image is printed across the spine is APPALLING, unforgivably INEPT, and seriously detracts from the image and it's composition. Many images with a central focus or focal point are thus RUINED in reproduction, losing their power and beauty. I have other criticisms of the books design, such as the over elaborate caption arrangement, but overall, I feel that the 'designers' quest for the 'WOW' factor has produced a book of such weight and bulk as to be unreadable, and which is impossible to savour or enjoy..
on 1 January 2010
This was the perfect Christmas present for a 14 year old. I saw the book in a shop in Bath and it blew me away. The photographs are incledible and the quality fantastic. This could be a perfect gift for those 'I don't know what to get them' moments.