Format: Hardcover|Change

on 1 December 2012
First of all, dear Amazon, this beautiful book is not by Thomas Heatherwick (who only wrote the Foreword) but by David Usborne who both owns all the unusual and curious tools illustrated here but also lovingly collected them.on his travels over many years. In his Introduction Usborne says that "Collecting has been described as a form of madness" and, if that is so, he reflects, it is interesting to note how many creative, apparently sane artists, writers and others have suffered from it. This book is a delight to look at, filled as it is with fascinating functional tools of all kinds and times that most of us probably have not encountered before; and each is beautiful and has a story to tell. It is an enthralling book and everyone should have one.and give it to friends..
on 18 May 2013
I love Heatherwick's work and his book "Makings" is a real joy. I saw his name on the blurb of "Objectivity" and bought it on that basis.
Don't be fooled! He wrote the forward only. The rest is a collection of photographs tools, a few of which were interesting, and quite a number with little to commend them; too many are labelled as of unknown purpose, which would suggest sloppy research. The whole thing trades (misleadingly) on the Thomas Heatherwick name.
on 24 November 2011
The author's collection of utilitarian objects takes us unexpectedly into a world of almost dreamlike fantasy. The idea of utility seems to us practical and down to earth but David Usborne's keen eye reveals that when form and function are resolutely indivisible, when originality is so complete, then ugliness or banality are impossible (though grotesquerie is not!). I've often lingered in high street ironmongers and hardware shops, mesmerised by a perfect brush or a divinely proportioned bucket. 'Objectivity' is the ultimate refinement of such a pursuit, surely the result of rummaging in odd corners over many years. Superb and unique.
on 4 April 2011
This book ranks up there as one of my all time favourites! Whilst I browse continually, I only buy and collect books that leave me breathless - and this is one of the best! I saw it in a bookshop, and after 3 seconds skimming I'd made up my mind where it sat in my list of great books - right up with the best of them!!!! It's a book of largely old curious and unsual man made objects and tools, where the criteria of use and function is superceeded by the art, beauty and mystery of it's form.
on 18 October 2013
Just a book to grab when you are getting out of ideas. It deserves a long life on your worktable
on 8 December 2014
Quirky and smart thinking.
on 14 October 2014
great product.
on 3 January 2012
What a brilliant book - it opens the mind. What geniuses designed these products? A great 'thank you' to the author and publishers.