Customer reviews

on 29 January 2009
This has to be the fashion and accessory book of the year 2007. Iris Apfel did what many of us want to do, but daren't. Why look drab? Why look neutral? Do you want to stand out in a crowd, and be the person you always dreamed of? Iris Apfel has the answers, and as the title suggests she is certainly irreverent.
It is safe to say, that after reading this highly illustrated, beautifully photographed book showing Iris's daring, mind-blowing creations, the got-together-with-anything look, the hang it all I'll wear what I feel like -- you will be a changed person.

The ethic of Iris goes something like this: Why wear one bracelet when you can wear a dozen? She is herself with 'mix and match', plastic and metal, dresses covered in roses or plastic necklaces slopped around a fur dress. Everything about Iris style is 'mega', ultra, vast. Nothing matches, yet everything feels right. She's hot, yet she's not. She could walk into a charity shop and come out looking stunningly eye-catching. Huge sunglasses, large beads, way out dresses and so on. Iris loves to play and whatever her look - ethnic, retro, 60's she was born to be different. She lives in her own skin, albeit strange to conservative eyes, and it says "notice me, envy me, hate me because I have dared to wear my heart on the outside - and you have not." From the top of her head, to the tips of her toes, she includes the strangest of materials, textures, colours, plus the accessories we all have stuffed away in carrier bags hidden in our cupboards. Why not use your imagination and create your own 'voila - here I come -style'.

I love this book; I would never want to part with it. Each day it is a reminder that whoever we are, there is no need to be a plain Jane. I can step out into the world in whatever I choose and I'll still be me. As Iris Apfel said, when people say 'Take one off, I say 'Add one on'.
on 13 April 2017
Very good book, lots of coloured pictures and an insight into this lovely ladies life.
Just shows got to find your own style. Marvellous.
on 22 January 2010
Iris Apfel is a great girl. Her personality shines through her sparky introduction. Her clothes and accessories are terrific. But it is the combination of these items and the panache with which she wears them that makes the whole package unique. I loved this book and am sorry I didn't buy it earlier. As a textile design student, with a particular interest in up-cyling garments Iris has been an inspiration to me to create statement pieces.
VINE VOICEon 31 May 2010
This is the sort of book that does not do well with online bookstores. It is the sort of book you need to flick through rather than just see a cover picture and read a blurb before buying. If you are familiar with Iris Apfel you will know exactly what to expect. But for anyone else this book needs to be browsed in a bookshop to discover the delights within it. The book is almost all photographs. They are excellent clear records of Iris Apfel's wardrobe and jewellery.
Any aspiring fashion or jewellery designer will learn a lot from the photographs. The clothes are styled on mannequins and put together how Iris would have worn them. This makes it an excellent reference book for anyone who wants to learn about fashion styling. This book is also an essential reference guide for anyone who wants to stand out from the pack and make a statement with their fashion. All the outfits are truly timeless, and it is the way that they are put together which makes them stand out rather than the cost or designer label. This means that this book is truly democratic; anyone can take away something from these photos to add style to their own wardrobe.
on 7 June 2015
This was excellent, a really great book and it was a present for my mam and she absolutely loved it. Fantastic value for money and all round excellent service. Brilliant. Many thanks.
on 4 January 2015
Love it or hate it, but she is awesome. Lots of still life pics from her closets.
on 3 May 2016
I love this book - you might expect to pay double in , say, the V and A
on 3 November 2015
Fabulous book - exceeded my expectations.
on 31 October 2015