Customer reviews

on 24 January 2015
Gift for Son. The book came up to his expectations. If I had shopped around could have purchase for half the price I paid.
on 1 July 2014
Arrived promptly, well packaged and good savings on a beautiful very heavy, glossy brand new book.
on 18 July 2005
It's been a long time coming, but worth the wait. FINALLY, a definitive reference book on the pottery of Clarice Cliff and Wilkinson/Newport potteries. Although it's beautifully illustrated, THIS IS NO MERE COFFEE TABLE BOOK! Meaty and relevant info which is both comprehensive and factual. From an antiques dealers point of view, THIS BOOK RENDERS ALL PREVIOUS PUBLICATIONS IRRELEVANT.
on 24 February 2015
Very interesting a great book to have when collecting Clarice Cliff.
on 25 March 2006
I purchased this book believing from the title that it was a "comprehensive" list of Clarice Cliff's designs and shapes. However, I soon realised there were many NOT included. I found on the internet that the Clarice Cliff Collector's Club members have worked out there are over 30 major designs and various shapes missing. The worst omission from the patterns section was the large My Garden range that was her best seller from 1934-1940. But what annoyed me most was that it has over 25 pages of designs that have nothing to do with Clarice Cliff, but from the Wilkinson's factory. Many of these are of printed designs not the hand painted ones she is famous for. Also, because the main author is Australian the book covers obscure designs sold in that part of the world, again nothing to do with Clarice. The book has very little detail about Clarice or her life. I do not recommend it. Instead check out the older cheaper books which concentrate just on Clarice Cliff.
22 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 January 2006
I am a new collector of clarice cliff and bought this book to asisst me in my search.
The book itself contains a huge range clarice's patterns and shapes, illustrated by some superb, high definition images which really do justice to the pieces.
The book also offers advice on how to identify clarice cliff pieces, a massive picture database of backstamps and pieces atributed to the wilkinson and newport potteries.
I would highly recommend this book - ive been mezmorised by it and havent put it down since my purchase.
on 15 January 2016
Excellent reference book
on 11 December 2015
great book
on 2 June 2007
Whether you are a Clarice Cliff collector, someone who needs information for your business or you have a more academic interest in 20th century ceramics, this is the book for you. The pattern section, which makes up the majority of the 440 page volume, is truly excellent. Perhaps not for someone putting their toe into the Clarice Cliff ocean for the first time - 'The Bizarre Affair' by Griffin, Meisel and Meisel is a less overwhelming experience for first-timers. However, 'Comprehensively Clarice Cliff' collects into one place the huge amount of information about patterns, glazes, backstamps and shapes that has been collected and researched over the last forty years. If you are serious about Clarice Cliff, you need a copy. As an online collector of Clarice cliff, one sits next to my computer for easy reference.
on 4 June 2007
I have to disagree with the previous review. The other books I have on Clarice Cliff have superb pieces of the ceramics. Her heyday was 1928 to 1934 but this over large volume has everything she ever did in it. There are pictures of Victorian ware, and far too much of the lesser or later ceramics. I can't believe she liked the ceramics that were issued after the war, they are horrid. That's why I find the book dissapointing there are far too many pages of ceramics that followed the great art deco pieces. The book also has an incredibly complex reference system which I'm sure the writer understood, but I don't. If they had covered just the real Clarice Cliff pieces it could have been half the size and cost half as much. As the previous review said it definitely is 'not for someone putting their toe into the Clarice Cliff ocean for the first time'. The best book has to be 'The Bizarre Affair'. 'Comprehensively' is NOT recommended by me.