on 7 June 2013
I saw this book at a friend's house and started to flick through it. Four hours later I was still there - absolutely riveted by creative skill and ingenuity of the designer and his studio colleagues. It's wonderfully accessible, with each design given a single page (with a few exceptions) and clear photographic representation. The text is very simple and engaging - 'we had this remit/problem/challenge and we wondered if we could do THIS' - and then a description of how the challenge was undertaken. What's fabulous is that the designs range from tiny Christmas trinkets to magnificent international architectural wonders. Each is rightly given the same weight and simple, beautiful treatment. I stopped for lunch, then went back to the book. I had to read every single page. Then when I'd finished it, I ordered it as a gift for a friend. I hope she takes the hint and gives one back to me! If you love beautiful design and beautiful minds, you will treasure this book.
12 people found this helpful
on 17 June 2012
I am very happy with this purchase.
Its a beautiful big book, I really love the unconventional squareish format, it feels nice to hold.
Paper quality is great, every time I turn a page it feels like I grabbed two pages by mistake its that thick.
The content is great Thomas explains the thought process behind his designs in detail. It is a very inspirational book, and got my creative juices flowing.
For the price of £23 I think its a bargain.
14 people found this helpful
on 15 November 2013
Impressive appearance, as you would expect from a Design Studio.
Heatherwick became a household name as the creator of the London Olympics 2012 Cauldron. This book, copiously illustrated, describes the many and varied output and ideas of the Studio, varying from small items like Christmas Cards to large buildings. They also designed the new Routemaster bus for London Transport, known unofficially as the Boris Bus after the London Mayor Boris Johnson.
A book to dip into. Well bound and produced.
on 20 June 2014
I am bowled over by the talent of Thomas Heatherwick and his studio. The range of ideas and the inspirational projects - what a creative group they are.I spend hours reading about everything they have accomplished and look-forward to new projects such as the garden bridge being completed.
on 26 March 2018
Creative engineering as it should be done
on 16 November 2016
Amazing book, features all of Heatherwicks work, was never much into architecture but this book has changed the way I look on the architectural world! Large images and in depth design processes - overall an amazing designer and great book
on 24 March 2016
An inspirational book bursting with creative solutions, fully supported with excellent drawings and photographs. The accompanying text gives the underlying rational that informs this dynamic design studio.
2 people found this helpful
on 24 June 2016
Astoundingly imaginative book, beautifully produced. So inspiring and raises a broad smile with every second page. I recommend this tome to anyone with at least a faint interest in art, craft, design, engineering, architecture, or style. Fantastic value now that it's a few years since release, since which time I've fancied a copy but never managed a peek inside.
on 1 December 2012
This book is perfect to get aquainted with Heatherwick's pure genius. All his projects are listed cronologically, each of them has one or more very good pictures and a description and explanation by Heatherwick himself, telling you how he conceived the idea.
The spun chair, the rolling bridge, Shangai Expo Pavillion... and the absolutely astonishing Christmas cards... This book brings pure genius right into your hands!
2 people found this helpful
on 29 March 2016
Awe inspiring. Every project is a real gem and a great inspiration to all would-be artists and creators. It sits by the bed and is taking ages to get through.