Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 March 2013
This is a delightful book with 304 full page glossy colour photographs spread over 214 pages. Provence! Land of light, sun and cerulean skies. Fields of lavender and sunflowers stretching to infinity; villages with their terracotta tiles and church spires perched high up on rocky promontaries, dreaming in the midday heat. Ornate fountains splashing in village squares shaded by giant plane trees. They are all faithfully reproduced here. The book takes us on a pictorial journey beginning with the villages of Vacluse and Le Bouches du Rhone. Les Alpilles made famous by Van Gogh who painted them and glorious images of the stunning Bonnieux. Then it traverses the mountains of the Luberon. Beloved of its famous son , the writer Marcel Pagnol, 'Jean de Florette'. It concludes with the Alpes-de-Haute-Provence. The spirit of Provence has been well and truly captured in this beautifully illustrated book and is a celebration of all things Provencal. A must for all Francophiles and lovers of Provence.
on 7 June 2013
I bought this not so much as a coffee table book but to help plan our holiday to Provence. The photos are nice but are pretty much the typical travel photography style. The descriptions for the villages are interesting. As I said though, I found it really useful to find the picturesque villages and there is a handy map which shows where they are, so we planned our holiday accordingly.
on 24 August 2013
I bought this book to help me plan a tour of provence .. though not exhaustive, the photo,s in the book showed me what to expect when I get there .. I loved some of the photo,s and plan to create my own during my visit.
the book was,nt expensive and, for me, worth the money. it is serving the purpose for which I bought it, that is, to plan, to whet my appetite and to inspire my own photo journal of provence.
on 22 April 2013
While the information on the villages was useful in planning our trip, the quality of the photographs was very disappointing.
on 8 September 2014
A lovely book ... we bought it to enhance our visit to Provence earlier this year. All the best villages are here and, although don't expect them to be empty as per the pictures, they are all worth visiting. The book inspires you to go, and is a lovely reminder to browse through after returning home ... even if through rose tinted glasses.
on 20 January 2015
A good book to look at and decide which villages to visit.
on 8 April 2013
I was looking for a present for my mum and I finally got it! This book is the best book I have ever read about Provence!