Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 September 2013
Wonder thick pages with high contrasting colours convey the beauty of the craftmanship of the artists it represents.

helpful as can dip in and out of the book as and when.

little paragraph from the artists gives you insight into them, and an introduction to loads of artists you may not have met before.

Bee reading and studying for hours and still only 3/4 of the way through. useful for researching artists for dissertation subject.
on 13 April 2017
i find even just flipping through this book so inspiring!
on 11 April 2017
Quick delivery, good quality, would buy again
on 21 April 2012
An excellent insight into the creative minds and forming typography style of some of the most talented and admired designers. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, from unwrapping til the last page. It reminds me that the simplest of strokes/shapes can form so many interesting type styles. Inspiring and beautifully presented. I recommend this to everyone.
on 21 November 2015
I found this book underwhelming and was surprised given the number of people who highly recommended it. On average then, you should probably ignore this review!
on 9 November 2011
I find this book massively helpful, I'm a studying illustrator and I don't really have a type background, but this book has taught me methods , artists , styles and overall has enthused me about the craft and how much skill is involved.it is Ideal for studying illustrators or graphic designers, great bit of research material.
on 16 November 2011
I opened this book at random in a bookshop and was blown away by the work of Tom Geismar. I then began to flip through it and found that it was a goldmine of ideas. To see the preliminary work of all these designers gives one an glimpse of their working methods and an entree into alternative ways of unlocking visual problems. As an educational too or just a source of pleasure it has the 'Wow' factor.
I grew up in a house where there were always Letraset sheets lying about, for the uninitiated, they were plastic film with black type that could be transferred to paper by carefully scribbling on the back with a blunt pencil. Letraset was the traditional way of putting a specific typeface on paper, one letter at a time, for offset lithography. Things have changed since then, Letraset sheets are a curio now, rather than something that you could buy at a specialist shop on every large high street. But I still love fonts.

This is a well produced book of extracts from sketchbooks belonging to various people who work with fonts, some are traditional typographers, some designers, it is a splendidly diverse selection. It is impossible to generalise about the sketches or the artists, some find sketching invaluable, some seldom sketch anything. If there is a theme it is perhaps that like the Letraset sheets, these days of sketchbooks as an everyday piece of a designer’s toolkit are numbered. The digital revolution and ubiquitous laptops means that wacom tablets will probably replace sketchbooks in twenty years. If they do then we will be much the poorer, this is an inspiring book that offers a ready insight into creativity and creation, and will be enjoyed by anyone with an interest in the every day reality of designing stuff.
on 12 August 2013
I fell in love immediately when I saw this book. Totally worth the price.

Stunning pictures, and I like the way the pages and the cover of the book feel in my hands.
Very good quality, a book full of inspiration and good design.

Also I have to say that I usually don't like paperbacks, but in this case, I'm fine with it.
Although I haven't read this book so much yet, so I hope the covers and the back remain intact.
on 26 January 2013
This is a very useful and beautifully produced book. A must for anyone who needs or wants to use free-hand lettering illustration in their life.