on 7 June 2015
Okay. It is compulsive reading, but I found it incredibly frustrating. You need to get to the end to find out what happens but when you do it is entirely disappointing. Steve is the most self deluded character I have ever encountered in a book. Is he supposed to be? Is it ironic that in writing Maya he reveals all the secrets that will destroy Maya, and her reputation, rather than redeem himself? Is that the whole point and Alastair Campbell is in fact being completely ingenious rather than writing a novel you can read at face value? Is it allegory? Am I giving too much credit just because I am completely intrigued by alastair Campbell and am curious about what goes on in his head? It is either a novel to be studied, debated and analysed or to read and dismiss as not that good and rather frustrating. I do not know which.....
on 3 March 2015
Being passionate about the Maya civilisation, I cannot praise more this book, beautifully written and very informative. This is the kind of writing that brings history into life again. Well done
on 23 July 2012
Having given up on my last two book downloads, and having read Alastair's excellent 'All in the mind' novel, I thought I would try 'Maya', his latest offering. Alastair writes very well (his style reminds me of Jeffrey Archer in many ways, although maybe that is just the political link). 'Maya' is a really easy read, ideal for chilling out on the beach. Alastair Campbell will always get mixed reviews, but much of that is because of his political background and really nothing to do with his skills as an author I suspect. Keep em coming Alastair.
on 7 January 2011
I feel a slight fraud - I wanted to like the book, got about 30 pages into it, hated it but kept going. I read the book over Christmas and despite the other distractions, kept coming back to it.

It felt to me a poor attempt at a book like this, certainly when compared to other 'celebrity' authors.

In the end the book wasnmt about Maya but about a mans obsession with her and the havoc that such an obsession can wreak.

Maybe I alsoi feel a little cheated as I got the hardback version instead of waiting for it to be remaindered or in paper back. Would take a lot to get me to read another Alastair Campbell, but form your own views
on 26 January 2018
A great purchase, very happy with it, dispatched quickly, many thanks
on 17 July 2012
With a holiday to Mexico to look forward to I thought it would be a good idea to learn a little something about the local history whilst soaking up the sun but this book is not a casual read for the beach. It is well written with lots of detailed information but to appreciate it fully I think you either have to be heavily into cultural history in general or have a specific interest in the Maya. I have no regrets about the purchase and will keep the book to read again when I can't afford a holiday.
on 12 October 2015
He might be regarded as controversial, but if you are studying the Maya you will need this book. Will recommend.
on 15 May 2013
AC is a great writer and his previous book " All in the Mind" was compulsive reading. This one takes a bit more determination but still well written
on 16 February 2014
Came ahead of schedule, thank you as I am off to Mexico next week. Only quickly glanced through so not sure how in depth it is but looks adequate for a beginner t learn a bout the temples and ruins she is going to visit. Already thinking about changing travel route slightly to visit ruins I hadn't even heard of. very happy with purchase.
on 2 May 2014
Quite fascinating seeing how easily people see only what they want to see and the lengths they'll go to to make it fit and in this case become obsessed. Alastair Campbell definitely gets to the inside of people.