on 22 May 2005
I am a graphic design student at University and I found this book to be really useful because it covers almost everything you need to know about graphic design. The content is RICH. It has a chapter on almost any area you can think of. I think it is specifically aimed at students, as it starts off with the basic design skills like color, photography, typography and visualising ideas, and then moves on to more complicated areas like editorial design, production issues, web design, packaging design and commercial practice.
Packed with full color visual examples, tips and tricks, and "assignments" for the reader to practice on, the book is like a mini-course: divided into sections, modules, and units. Great for touching up on rusty skills or just general practice. I also find it inspirational to flip through when I feel like I've run out of ideas, because of its rich content.
This modern publication (2004) with bright pictures, crisp graphics, helpful screenshots, great layout, and easy straight-forward language is reassuring: I know I have a reliable source to go back to anytime I feel clueless!
on 26 July 2005
The description of this book really does not do it any justice, this is well written, loads of photographs to illustrate the text and there are even small projects to work on to help you develop your skills, what can i say, i wish i had bought this book years ago!
on 26 March 2006
I found this book incerdiably informative about an are i dip into from time to time. Layout, colour, ratio of text to images, etc are just spot on. Very well written. Is it an academic book? Probably as an introduction, but a great foundation for a hobbyist like me. I had no regrets in the least about buying it.
on 21 August 2008
I did not get much from this book at all, it just seemed to waffle on about this, that and the other and didn't teach much at all. There didn't seem to be a lot of sense in the order material was covered, I did persevere to over 3/4 of the way through but just got fed up with there being little or no direction or explanation/advice.

I also bought The Non Designers Design Book by Robin Williams - it is way much better, well written, direct and explains things so you actually learn about graphic design.

I would NOT recommend this book at all - this is from a non-graphic designer so bare that in mind!
on 11 January 2009
I am a photographer and not a designer and its taken me a very long time to bring some sense of design to my literature etc. I searched for help and was recommended this book. I have found it packed full of concepts and ideas, colour theory, typography, layout and artworking ideas. Its aimed at those learning design but excellent for it. A good size and with loads of helpful articles I can't recommend this highly enough. Within a couple of days of using the book I had finally built a clean and succinct advertising brochure on Pages on my Mac.
Buy It! Good for website layout concepts too See: []
on 1 May 2006
I am a technical web-based database developer who bought this book to expand my arty skills. Whilst very pleased with my other purchase, "The Non-Designer's Design Book" by Robin Williams, I feel that this may be more a book for graphic design students than a tutorial for non-designers. It seems good value for its price, number of pages, full colour and paper quality though.
on 3 October 2006
A teriffic book! Full colour, loads of pictures. And finally a book that actually gives you inspiration for ideas. WHAT YOU NEED MOST! Overall a great book that i am glad i brought. Would recommend to any graphic designer, particually degree students!
on 1 June 2010
Used as a reference while at uni, and it contains detailed areas on colour layout, type, software and numerous other key sections.. Its really nice to actually have a book with so much content, but thats actually readable. Would definitely reccomend. A must have!
on 22 March 2013
What more can I say but wow!

This book covers every single piece of ground in graphic design. It taught me more than I ever learned in design school for the 3-years I was there. It has all the fundamentals you need to know plus real world situations, parts you don't get in any other book really. If I was learning graphic design, this would be the book I would buy every time. In fact, this should be given out at schools and universities as the required reading for courses in graphic design.

You will learn more in this book than you will ever imagine whether you are a student, entry-level designer or a more seasoned senior designer. Having been a professional designer since 1999 I can say that this book had more of impact on me than any other I have read. Buy it, you won't be disappointed.

I'm very interested on how others perceive design or even teach it but this book brings something different to the table - it gets your mind thinking and questioning your own approach to the way you work. It delves into critical rules of design but gets the reader to re-think, re-evaluate and and re-deliver. The results can be amazing. I'm still having fun with this book months after buying it, it's very refreshing to read.
on 3 May 2010
I am a graphic design student, and this book has helped me through nearly every project!

It was my teacher that suggested this book and I am glad that I bought it. It teaches everything from colours to packaging.

Anytime I need some help, my book is there to inspire me.

If you are a student - but this book!