on 5 December 2015
This is a good little book, which gives you a whistlestop tour of Rome in about 200ce. Written in a 'Rough Guide' style, it has chapters on such things as eating, shopping, sightseeing, religion and entertainment. It gives a good feel of life in the imperial capital at its height. For those who already have a little knowledge of Rome, it probably won't add much new, but if you want a place to start - or perhaps are a reader of historical fiction set in Rome, wanting to check some facts - this would be as good as any.
on 4 February 2017
A brilliant brilliant book. The extent of his knowledge is remarkable, but it's all delivered lightly and wittily, and in a form that will engage both the classical scholar and the teenager learning Latin.
on 9 February 2017
A good read indeed, and has added immeasurably to my school knowledge of ancient Roman life, especially those ordinary people, like us, outside the circles of the elites. Recommended.
on 31 May 2015
Excellent product and service.
on 27 July 2015
A nice read, gives an unusual insight in Roman life in the year 200
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 9 August 2011
SAFE READING - NO SPOILERS

There is a complete series of these thoroughly enjoyable books written in the style of a modern travel guide, e.g. Blue Book or Lonely Planet. I have all of them and have enjoyed each one. Having discovered them after I visited all these cities, they helped to take me back to the modern and ancient cities; worth it just for that.
Rome, Athens, Egypt and Florence are all fixed on my memory like a photographic plate and I can recapture steps at the turn of a page; seeing pictures or hearing or reading descriptions fills my memory instantly, reminding me and bringing alive to my mind the exotic and captivating places themselves. I can easily re-live them until I return.
These books are perfect for me and the glory, excitement and majesty that was Rome comes flooding back from previous reading, documentaries and tramping the streets so often.
Highly recommended.
on 14 October 2011
I have really enjoyed this, unfortunately it has taken me ages to read because the print is so small. I think Amazon should give some indication of print size as well as the number of pages in the product descriptions. I cannot fault the content, just the appearance
on 28 February 2013
Well written and quite funny in parts, but also was very informative about how Rome would have been back then
on 24 August 2015