on 17 June 2010
You get an instant picture of Victorian London, the misery and the suffering of the working classes and their appalling living conditions. Anyone researching this subject should buy it because is informative, accurate, and most important it is an eye-witness account and that is very rare indeed.
on 13 March 2017
Mayhew certainly did an impressive amount of research.
These accounts are fascinating, and also deeply harrowing, just as is his writing on, 'The London Labour and the London Poor'.
Essential for anyone interested in the real history of the UK.
on 3 December 2013
I brought this book for my other half - a Londener himself - and have stolen it! It is a fascinating read. I love the way the accounts from some of the people are spelt as they would have spoken it so you really get a taste of the accent. We know most of the streets and places that are mentioned in the book and it's interesting to think what was happening there before we were walking around and drinking in all the pubs! I'd recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in history and loves London. It really does have a character all of its own and is full of people who are unlike any other. 5 stars, I'm so glad I brought it!
A fascinating contemporary study of the darker side of London in the mid nineteenth century. The detail is astounding and it is possible to detect Mayhew's personal calls for reform.
on 24 March 2011
Great insight into days gone by, full of odd details and intriguing lives, but a difficult and slow read. The prejudice of some of the collectors of the information sometimes comes through, but it is nevertheless uniquely worthwhile. The accounts' authenticity mean that it is a great source of reliable information. Just dip in and out to avoid getting bogged down with the dull parts.
on 22 September 2015
Interesting contempopect.rary account of Victorian crime. Details are quite fascinating, but the language is old fashioned as you would ex
on 1 November 2012
This book says as much about the social and moral opinions of the writer as about the criminals of the time. Very enlightening and entertaining
on 8 October 2014
I was hoping to get a good insight into Victorian London. As soon as I flicked through the pages I know I had made a mistake buying this. Its a heavy read and just not reader friendly. I'm in no doubt that it's a good factual book but I would only recommend if you are studying the subject as to me, it's not a relaxing pleasurable read. I gave up part-way through.
on 14 November 2016
Made interesting reading and has helped with some of the research into residents in the Workhouses that I am currently undertaking.
on 10 November 2014
Henry Mayhew. He must be a strong contender for the most prolific journalist of his time, having read similar work from his journeys around Victorian London I'm more than happy to recommend anything he has a hand in!