on 6 December 2014
As expected
on 12 December 2014
As expected
on 3 December 2006
This book answersed all of the questions i had, in terms of my own spiritual journey. It explains why the dark days are so awful and why the light days are so in abundance with joy. Having read many spiritual guidance books, in religeons across the board, i found this to be the definative guide to understanding my own true existence.

God has to make us endure pain, desolation and deep emotion in order for us to appreciate and fully understand the path we are on. If we had only 'positive' days we would not endlessley search for spiritual fulfillment. This journey is fully explained in this book and its a reflective tool that we can use daily to enchance our understanding of a spiritual journey.

The soul is illuminated by positive experiences, the serenity felt lulls the soul into feeling comfortable. however, each stage of the journey brings a deeper, and more desolate emotion. Through this book, you learn to battle through this, and achieve a sense of calm that enables you to proceed to the next stage.

Its a book that i am able to read again and again, each time gaining a deeper understanding of my own spiritual journey. Well worth a read!.
11 Comment| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 April 1999
this book will take you on an exploration deep into the source of yourself to the not so joyfull aspect of the soul that we know all too well. its effects bring us beyond words to an understnding and sincere fondness for the neccesity of knowing the other aspects of the soul, as we begin to embrace daily sadnesses and griefs as an enriching part of our life. if you are willing your soul will have the experience of a lifetime and your knowledge of self will climb to a new height. .
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 February 2003
“The Collected Works of St. John of the Cross” consists of the writings of this 16th century Spanish Mystic and Doctor of the Church. St. John was a Carmelite friar and friend of St. Theresa of Avila. A valued spiritual counselor, many of his works were written as instruction to religious who sought his guidance.
The book consists of four major works and many minor works. The major works are “The Ascent of Mount Carmel”, “The Dark Night”, “The Spiritual Canticle” and “The Living Flame of Love”. Each of the major works consists of a poem, written by St. John, and an extensive, word by word, explanation. In the explanation, St. John reveals his own theology, supported by verses from Scripture.
The minor works consist of letters written to his contemporaries as well as a collection of St. John’s poetry.
This is definitely not light reading. The reader must concentrate on his the text in order to appreciate what he is reading. I am glad that I read it from two perspectives. From an historical perspective, it provides the reader with a good introduction into the world of mystical writing. More importantly, from a spiritual perspective, this book gives the reader an insight into God’s call to all Christians to draw themselves more closely to Himself. The spirit of this book is difficult to explain. It is a classical book which is better experienced than described.
on 2 March 2014
This is a very interesting book and more. I understand it has helped many people come to terms with their own deep problems. My one criticism is that the author gathers many disparate conditions under dark Nights of the Soul when they have significant differences. lying in a hospital bed will make you feel down but that is hardly a Dark Night which is a spiritual process.
on 12 August 2014
very good
on 3 February 1999
The first time I attempted this book it was beyond me. After I had experienced a great tragedy in my life, however, I was more in tune with what St. John was talking about. Sometimes God must remove all of our props to get us to love Him, rather than the goodies He can give us. This may even include having to undergo a purging of the senses, and long periods of depression. My prayer to God for a long time has been, "Lord, whatever it takes, make me a man of God". Sometimes I have a hard time dealing with the "whatever it takes" part, but it's well worth it. Find a quiet place alone and read this book.
on 20 June 2014
I wasn't sure whether this book would help me given that it was written so long ago and that I am not a practicing Christian. I'm more a spiritual person really. How wrong I was and how glad I was that I read it. It took a bit of getting used to as the text is hard to understand in places but with a little effort and contemplation, which I consider to be very worthwhile, I came away with a great deal of useful information and really comforting support. I find it amazing that St John of the Cross's Dark Night of the Soul can be so pertinant and so compassionate even though a great deal of time has passed since he wrote this text. I said my thank you's to him.
on 5 February 2012
This book has been produced by scanning an older book, then using OCR. In the process all layout and formatting is lost, and the book is riddled with misprints. It is almost unintelligible. The translation they scanned was not particularly good anyway. If you do buy this, you will be deeply disappointed - I know it's only £4 or so but believe me it's not worth anything like as much as that.

If you do buy it, return it at once for a full refund under the Sale of Goods Act - this is a book, intended purpose: to be read, and it's unreadable.