on 23 August 2017
Excellent read.
on 29 September 2017
Useful book for anyone wanting to improve their Spanish
on 19 May 2017
Haven't been able give it proper time yet but looks good. The storys seem to get harder as you get deaper into the book. Good buy.
on 26 July 2015
No problems at all thank you
on 4 February 2013
This is a great book for Spanish learners that are at the cusp of beginner and intermediate. If you know your present, preterite tenses, a decent amount of nouns, then you should be able to get through these stories pretty well.
on 9 September 2010
Two main disappointments about this book. The first to hit me is the quality of printing. To start with, I was wondering why there was an asterisk and what strange letter was that. Then I realised it was an extra blob of ink or a half printed letter. Added to which the thickness of the letters alters in some places and I found this distracting. I presume it is a 'print to order' but for whatever reason, I feel the quality of printing is extremely poor.

My second disappointment is the stories themselves as they are mainly old fables and proverbs which means that the stories and many of the words are outdated. In the english text, you will find words such as, 'soliliquized, platitudinous, imperturbably, obscurantism' and stories about the Switchman, The Pedagogical Parrot, The Miser Burst his Bag and a glee club of maddening monotony. In fact the book was compiled in 1964 but the stories go way back before that.

Additionally, one quarter of the book is given over to vocabulary and whilst this is useful, it leaves little room for the actual stories since of course there is the dual text to consider and also questions after each story. You actually end up with just 54 pages of stories in Spanish.

Other reviews I read commented that this is not a beginner's book but more for intermediate. As I was looking for something intermediate, I bought it on that basis and would completely agree that it is for intermediates (with an interest in fables.)

Would I buy it? Yes - if it was £1.00.
11 Comment| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 May 2010
I had reviewed a few of these Dual Language books and was kind of confused- So I decided on First Spanish Reader and am so delighted with it.. I am amazed how far I have come in 2wks..I am trying to learn Spanish on my own and had kind of come to a brick wall..didn't know where to go next..so this book is so helpful.. when you come across various words and you need translation well these words are all on the back of the book A-Z..only thing I would have liked is answers to questions as I do not know if I'm right or wrong in Verb terms.. otherwise 10/10-
and as for Amazon themselves delivery in 2-3dys - excellent service..
I would love if someone could recommend a similiar book like this one..not too hard but not too easy either..kinda middle of the road one..
on 29 October 2009
I would say my Spanish is above beginners level, perhaps not quite intermediate. I learnt Spanish by using the Michel Thomas language Cd's, but I wanted to increase my vocabulary, and do something different than just sit with headphones on. The book starts off with very short tales (half a page in length), using very simple conjugations. You can glance at the opposite page if there is a word that you don't know, then try to read the story through without looking at the English. As you work through the stories, the language gets progressively harder, and the conjugations get more advanced. The stories are light hearted and quite nice. A really good feature of this book is that all the vocab that is used, is repeated in the back of the book in alphabetical order. So in a way, its like a book of vocabulary, with some example stories to see if you have learnt it. I like it very much.
11 Comment| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 March 2010
I'm very impressed with this book. You would think that one dual language book would be very much like any other. Wrong! This is by far the best Spanish reader that I have in my library- the stories are interesting, informative and funny and, most importantly, have been selected to provide just the right level of challenge to someone with a slightly better than basic level of Spanish.

If you can conjugate verbs, present, preterite and future (and if you can form the gerund)then you will find this book just right to help you get used to the style and structure of this beautiful, yet formal, language.

It also, through the 41 stories, proverbs and poems gives an insight that I found interesting and rewarding, into the Spanish character. The story "Padre, Hijo o Caballo?" is very funny and it is worth buying the book just for this yarn alone.

Highly recommended for beginner to intermediate level estudiantes de espanol.
0Comment| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 March 2017
Very disappointed in this. I bought it as a present for my friend as we're both learning Spanish. The quality of the paper was very poor, as stated by another reviewer. It claims to be beginner/intermediate level. You definitely need to be a good intermediate level in order to understand the stories without pouring over a dictionary.