on 17 March 2017
Useful translations make reading the original Spanish a whole lot less stressful
on 5 April 2017
Great book to get to grips with standard Spanish grammar, although I would have preferred to receive the cover displayed above. Aside from the backing differing, a great read!
on 4 February 2011
Lovely selection of stories with plenty of useful notes where necessary, plus a glossary at the back, and questions in spanish, for each story, to test comprehension. I am teaching myself spanish, am at not-high-grade GCSE level, but I found it useful, engaging and motivating.
on 21 June 2015
These stories are good and interesting but are harder, partly because they are more literary, written by respected writers. There are a few which are slightly easier. Again I like the biographical page on each writer. I am sure they will give me a good indicator of which Spanish writer will appeal to me when I decide to try a classic author. Like the poetry books, it is one to keep as improving ability in the language invites the reader to revisit the stories.
on 11 September 2009
A very useful bilingual book to gain an introduction to a wide range of Spanish and Latin American literature, including a couple of classics.
However, the language level may be a little higher than what most people understand as 'intermediate'.
on 11 August 2010
I rented this book from a library before reading it, and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of stories in the book - there's a good selection to read from, including old literature which is interesting to read.
Whilst the direct translation can be confusing, and the print quite small (especially as I have troubles reading small print), it's a good read for any student going from AS to A2, and even onto uni to do Spanish/Hispanic.

Just be aware the book is a 1997 publication and so can look a tad outdated, but it's good to help see words in context.
on 2 July 2010
Really great for anyone who wishes to practice their Spanish reading without the drag of having to look-up words as you go along. Whilst this was the primary reason the stories themselves were quite gripping and I found myself reading on in English because I wanted to know what was going to happen in the storyline more quickly than my ability to read in Spanish!
on 10 July 2011
I have enjoyed this book alot. The stories themselves were rather enjoyable. The Spanish texts are quite challenging but the English transcription helps you along. I would recommend this to Spanish learners that are intermediate onwards. I don't think it is really suitable for beginners.
on 6 April 2014
Use it for part Spanish classes I conduct but without providing English translation to those learning. Seems to be greatly enjoyed after ploughing through grammatical items!

So would have no hesitation in recommending for beginners who already have more than basic knowledge of the language & those not too advanced, certainly the earlier stories.
on 19 January 2015
I have not progressed very far with this yet but so far so good. It is very much at the level I presently require and, having the English translation, albeit sometimes very idiomatic English, allows one to progress when originally stuck. A good concept.