on 2 March 2005
I used an edition of this book back in 1987, in preparation for my first trip to Turkey. Some of what I learned from it has stuck ever since, but don't use it unless you are comfortable with the structure of language and grammatical terms. It is an academic approach with new grammatical constructions introduced in each chapter. Written exercises reinforce learning, but the examples will sound old-fashioned to a Turkish speaker. Turks get very impressed with your efforts, but you will be speaking the Turkish equivalent of the Queen's English, rather than useful phrases like "gorusuruz" ("see you later"). I would recommend a good audio course for collequial Turkish coupled with this so that you can read about how it all fits together.
11 Comment| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 June 2015
I bought this book after a recommendation - it's a useful addition to a whole range of other Turkish grammar books which I have - I find that no one book does the trick but that it's useful to have several
on 20 December 2012
Hi everybody, I found this book really well done and very useful to get acquainted with Turkish grammar an sentence patterns. What I personnally found a little tricky was the academic structure of the book. Very useful for linguists or for anyone interested in the language structure; maybe not so easy-going for anyone wishing to learn and speak the language. The exercises are a little bit poor, quite mechanical and not so phantasy full, but useful to understand the language functioning. For the very beginner I would suggest more easy-going learning materials.
on 29 March 2015
I'm Turkish, looking for a book to teach Turkish grammar to my multilingual children who speak basic Turkish, and I'm writing this review having read only the Kindle edition's "Look Inside!" pages at the beginning of the book. I was surprised to see many mistakes even in those few pages:
-- ' (soft g) is NOT pronounced "like y in yet". Listen to the pronunciation of the word 'agaç' here: http://www.forvo.com/word/a'aç/ (If link doesn't work, search for agac in www.forvo.com and click on the word with the Turkish characters that Amazon doesn't let me show here)
-- There is no such word as "kiral" in the Turkish language. The word is "kral" (king). There could be no such word as "kiral" in Turkish due to our strict rule of vowel harmony.
-- We don't say "fena fil". We say "kötü fil" (bad elephant). Fena means bad, but it isn't used in that sense. It is used as in "Fenayım" (I feel bad/ill).
-- There is no such word as "Hamm" in the Turkish language. The word you put after a given name to mean Miss or Mrs is "Hanım".

Even without the mistakes, the examples are outdated - many of those words have been replaced with modern Turkish equivalents. I certainly hope that there is a better (and more recent book) on basic Turkish out there. If you know of one, please let me know.
on 28 March 2014
Compact and helpful. Some things are little old-school and not much used nowadays language. Still grammar and basic easy to study. Good book to start learning yourself.
on 14 August 2014
This is a good book to help in improving your childrens or adults Turkish, loads to push you along
on 11 May 2015
Very helpful with lots of exercises to help along the way.
on 9 November 2016
It is very understandable! I recommend it.
on 10 March 2013
even if a bit too formal at times, reflection of it's publication date. This is for sure a solid self-learner's starter
on 25 February 2012
This is a very good Turkish Grammar book for beginners which introduces useful new vocabulary.
It is strong on sentance construction, word order and vowel harmony.
It is best used with Language CDs from other providers so that the Grammar is complemented by pronunciation.