on 30 September 2011
Great for beginners, clear and concise explanations of the grammar rules. However a more comprehensive text may be needed for intermediate or advanced level
on 16 December 2012
I have the hard copy of this book and found it simple, helpful and informative when it came to dealing with the the details of Dutch grammar, giving nice and clear examples. That would have been 5 stars. I do not like the Kindle edition as much as many of the examples given are in very small lettering which the Kindle doesn't enlarge and it puts me off from using it. So, the book is good, but the formatting of the ebook really needs to be thought out.
on 1 May 2001
Dutch grammar in 90 pages ? Well, Stern sticks to the important things you need to know about Dutch grammar and hardly wastes a word along the way. Word order, adjectives, adverbs, verbs, all the important things are explained here. If you ever get to the level where you need something with more depth you'll be speaking excellent Dutch. Why buy a big book that you might never need when there's this little gem at a bargain price ? Another plus, if you are like me and have only a fuzzy recollection of all those grammatical buzzwords, there's an appendix to explain them and give plenty of examples. Lastly, since it's a grammar and is likely to come in for lots of thumbing backwards and forwards, it's just as well that it's printed on tough paper and solidly bound. If only it was as easy to find as good a dictionary !
on 14 July 2013
This book is a valuable aid to anyone learning Dutch. Most aspects of Dutch grammar are explained in a manner that is easy to follow, from spelling and pronunciation to vocabulary building. It is also a useful work of reference for the more advanced student.
on 26 August 2014
This Grammar is simply amazing! I have audios to assist me with pronunciation, but I'm learning the illustrator y phrases Stern provides, consulting a dictionary re words that are new to me, and garnering more phrases from there. In this manner, i am taking Stern, section-by-section, and gaining a thorough grounding in grammar and syntax. OK, I'll need to improve my pronunciation, but, hey a phrasebook with accompanying audio-disk could provide this. I am approaching 74 years of age, and making steady, even good, progress - towards free holidays in Flevoland, at my son-in-law's mother's house: YEAH!
on 4 January 2012
Have decided to put more effort into learning Dutch than I have in the past. Am using Michel Thomas course which ostensibly doesn't need me to do "homework" but this little book is a help none the less.
on 28 March 2016
Excellent for Dutch grammar revision. No exercises but I didn't want that - I wanted a book I could just read and re-read to keep compounding my knowledge. Clear and easily read - might even say it makes revising grammar enjoyable!
on 31 May 2012
Exactly what the title says, this book has the basic grammar that you really need to know explained briefly and very understandably, without confusing you with details that a beginner probably isn't going to need anyway.
on 18 November 2016
Excellent tutorial! English is not my native language, but I understand everything better, than in my native language book. I recommend this book to everybody who studies Dutch.
on 2 July 2011
I am fairly new to learning Dutch and I am finding this book is proving very helpful. It is set out clearly and concisely. I am glad to have found it.