on 11 November 2015
This is a funny old-fashioned book, and at first sight I wasn't impressed. However, I find myself reaching for it every so often for a good read, and I've made a few of the patterns from it and enjoyed the process. If her others books weren't so expensive, I'd buy them all. Reading this book is like visiting with an eccentric relative and carries the same kind of feeling of comfort and continuity. She wants you to think and pushes the reader to make their own decisions about knitting, so don't expect to have your hand held. Good for people who want to be better knitters.
on 20 January 1998
If you want to knit a different project every month of the year, this is the only book to have! Elizabeth Zimmerman is the Master to learn from. She's warm, cozy and oh, so funny in her style of writing! I've done most of the projects in this wonderful book... Can you imagine what our little ones in the family said when I knitted each a 'Ganomy Hat'? Especially, in this neck of the woods?
VINE VOICEon 28 December 2009
Zimmermann's friendly, conversational style works well in all her books. Patterns are almost conversations between friends with a concise pattern at the end of each chapter for those who feel happier following clear directions.

There's a project for every month with lots of little fillers, ideas to customise or change an item to suit either your size, yarn or style.
As a knitter I've leaned so much from her books, without realising how much information I'd absorbed. If you love to knit, you'll love this book. If you're new to knitting, this book will save you from making so many mistakes. Buy it!
on 27 April 2016
Love this. I've just been reading it everyday. Her attitude is great especially now with Instagram and Ravelry there are a lot of knitting snobs out there or judgmental people that think there are right and wrong ways of creating. Basically make what you want to make, how you want to make it and with what you want to make it with. Experiment, you don't have to follow the/a pattern.
on 28 March 2013
The book contains a number of patterns, written first of all in Mrs. Zimmerman's chatty style, and then with a shorter version at the end of each chapter. She actually invites the reader to share her thought processes which I found very encouraging to start designing my own versions to fit family members. It's also interspersed with stories about her life which are a great read as she had a lovely sense of humour and this shines through. It's like spending a day with a favourite friend who is passing on her knowledge of knitting with enthusiasm.
on 20 March 2010
This is a book for people who enjoy reading about other's knitting experiences, the needle gauges and wool gauges are American so unless you are good at working out swatches for your work, I would not advise the patterns are used by British knitters, but otherwise a good read for a winter's eveningKnitter's Almanac: Projects for Each Month of the Year
on 31 January 2013
If you are a committed knitter, this is definitely a book for you, to read cover to cover, to dip into, to be inspired by: a lovely woman, clearly, alas no longer with us.
I am fan of EZ. I like her style which is not prescriptive, more conversational and full of tips and ideas.
She is not for knitters who like to follow a pattern, more for knitters who like to do their own designs.
I think she is more for competent knitters rather than beginners.
on 8 February 2014
with some great instructions for garments. I would recommend it as a book that tells knitting related stories rather than a pattern book, however, the pattern instructions given are incredibly detailed and easy to follow and the garments are the all-time-classics. It's a truly great read!
on 4 May 2014
For me this is an amazing book. EZ is on my wavelength, and I couldn't put the book down. It is lovely to dip in to - time and time again. I think this may well be my "one book on a desert island". It is certainly compact enough to keep me company when travelling.