VINE VOICEon 1 June 2004
These patterns by the late, British-born American Mrs Zimmermann are sometimes plain-looking, but always clever in design and absolutely useful. Using the idea of a calendar, the author presents designs for each month of the year, from a round "Pi" shawl with options to add your own lace designs, to several baby items such as longies and a sweater, to hats, Christmas ornaments, a chain-mail patterned pullover and more.
I've made most of the models in this book, and I constantly refer to it for creating my own patterns. The writing is amusing and talks a bit about the author's life in rural Wisconsin. Charming and useful, this is one of my favorite knitting books.
on 24 May 1996
Elizabeth Zimmerman is not only the guru of knitting, she's a witty and charming writer as well. I've given this Zimmerman book as a gift (an inexpensive one, I might add) to beginning and advanced knitters alike. (And I've read passages aloud to non-knitters, who've appreciated Elizabeth's humor and ability to relate knitting to almost any other subject.) Probably one of the most interesting parts of the book is Elizabeth's description of knitting in the car even when it's dark out (at least she's not driving, too -- although I believe she probably could). The best thing about this book is that Elizabeth presents knitting as a practical matter, not as something that you must follow stitch-by-stitch from a pattern someone else has written. She explains knitting so that you can create sweaters and other items from your own heart.
on 25 November 2003
This book is a must for those who want to get away from counting stitches in a pattern and rather learn how to knit so that you have it all in your head. With projects for every month of the year and shortcuts for those with no patience this book reveals the age-old secrets of knitting. Even if you find the knitted tights slightly wacky there are enough projects to make the book worth having.
on 30 September 1997
I don't want to duplicate the other reviews, so I'll keep this short. My favorite thing about this book is that EZ's instructions include the _reasons_ behind each step of knitting each garment, so you can either modify them according to your own inspiration or (if you're feeling lazy : D ) follow them exactly.
on 10 July 2013
I bought Elizabeth Zimmerman's book(Knitter's Almanac) in paperback some years ago, & was delighted to buy this hardback, somewhat expanded edition.The "expansions" are in some of the details : the phographs are clearer, the items have been re-knitted in modern yarns and the whole book is a pleasure to handle .None of its gentle, humane character has been lost : her comments remain pithy and encouraging,and, even if I don't use any of the patterns ,I'll come back often to this book for the sheer
pleasure of re-acquainting myself with the personality behind the book.
This book would also make a lovely present for knitters & non-knitters alike.
on 7 October 2011
I love my older paperback edition of this book (the original) because you can put it in your knitting bag and carry it anywhere. But I am also delighted to have this updated version (for what would have been Mrs. Zimmermann's 100 birthday) because of the full color pates, extra notes and the directions for the adult version of the Baby Sweater I've been making for years (upscaled by Mrs. Zimmermann's daughter).

If you can get a copy of this hardback be sure to do so, even if you have the older edition. This one will last long enough to pass down through several generations if cared for properly, long after the paperback has gone. The color photos provide more inspiration then the older black and whites and are done in more neutral colors than many knitting books published in the 1970's, so hopefully will not "date" as easily (sometimes it is hard to decide if you like a basic pattern when it is presented in shocking lime green and electric orange...).

I think this book (and all of EZ's books)rate five stars (even higher if I could do that).

Melodi
on 19 May 1997
I'd rate this book as a must have for anyone who wants to become a better knitter. Elizabeth Zimmerman inspires knitters to look at yarn in a whole new way...to envision what the yarn can become....and not be worried about what pattern leaflets are available.

I'm a large-size person, and have always been limited to the few patterns available which were written to include sizes large enough. At the same time, I have short arms, and the available patterns were never quite right. I'd learned how to "make do," by modifying the patterns which were available in large enough sizes, but this book helped me find a better approach. With Elizabeth's insights, I was able to design a sweater that was based on MY measurements, and on what I wanted. It freed me from limitations and opened up a whole new world of knitting.

It's also a great book for a new knitter (although it doesn't teach how to knit). The humor is contagious, and innoculates the beginner against taking knitting too seriously.
on 28 January 2012
This is the third edition of this book I have owned. The last two were borrowed and not returned.

I really don't mind though, as it shares the wisdom! If you are looking for a book of instructions then look elsewhere. On the other hand, if you are prepared to enter into almost a conversation whilst learning how to knit the items on the front cover, and a million and one other things as well, this is for you.
Erudite and informative, the patterns are accurate and inspiring. By the time you get to the end you will have the confidence to take on anything! AND it's in hardback, with aditional introductions and patterns, what more could a person ask?
on 20 January 1998
I wish your ratings went higher than 10. Many years ago, armed only with this book, I taught myself to knit. Elizabeth Zimmermann became my mentor, my inspiration, my Hero. This book, and all of her books are a MUST for knitters. The size is another plus.....fits in your purse or knitting bag so you never have to be without it. Sharon
on 12 November 1998
As others have written, this is a great book for all knitters. As I worked to transform from a "blind follower" to an independent thinker, I really appereciated both the longer explanations of the projects as well as the "pithy derections." My favorite pattern is the "Longies." I've made "Longies" in all sizes and in yarns from sport wt. to super bulky -- from baby doll to larger children's sizes -- and am always receiving compliments on my work. Of course, I always give EZ her props!