Customer reviews

on 26 May 2014
Spoiled a little due to the - for me - over long forward and preface . However Carter's enthusiasm really comes across. His detailed explanation of artefact recording and preservation reveals how much work and effort went into handling each item. Today we would have laptops , phones ,computers laser scanning and other tools . Then it was hand drawn sketches painstakingly drawn maps , floor plans and objects photographed for scale and position , the pictures themselves being developed in another room in the tomb now serving as a darkroom! This tomb along with many others suffered at the hands of grave robbers , the broken door seals evidence of the damage. The inner burial chamber was however intact and you can almost anticipate the the tension as the first light in over several thousand years fills this tomb.
on 26 March 2017
The books pages are in good condition but the cover is not.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 March 2007
I have been to Egypt, the first time was in 1993, and I made my mind up that I'd like to study Egyptology.

Although in my second year of studying Egyptology, during my first year I came across this little book. Although it wasn't one of the study books I was required to read I decided to purchase it.

This is a great book, Howard Carter even though a novice Egyptologist in some respect due to his training had the feeling he'd find Tutankhamen tomb, and through persevering he did. It's great to read his words as he wrote them. :-)

I'm really sorry that my own country didn't recognise him and give him any special awards. Howard Carter did something no one else could, I admire him for all his Egyptology work that he ever did.

I found this book informative, interesting and enjoyable to read.

Whether you are studying Egyptology or just want a little more knowledge then this is an excellent book.

It makes an excellent edition to my little Egyptian library, which now stands at nearly 1000 books on this subject. :-)
on 22 January 2008
I remember in the 1960's reading the original books (2 volumes) that were published by Howard Carter not long after he had finished cataloguing the extraordinary finds from the tomb. Although all the photographs were in black and white they showed beautiful objects, the like of which had never been seen before and promoted a "Tutankhamun fever". This passion for all things Egyptian influenced interior decoration and even the architecture of the time. It is easy to understand why people were so passionate. These were objects that also increased my own love of the history of the Ancient Egyptians. It also aroused my interest in deciphering and understanding hieroglyphics.

One can get a feel from the book, about what it must have been like to gaze into the confines of a space made by other human beings many centuries ago. To see objects and to wonder about the skill and patience of the people who had made them, sometimes with the most rudimentary equipment and yet we are unable to replicate them in this modern scientific world.

Everything that was in the tomb was there for a purpose, either to assist Tutanhamun to get to the next world, or to be of use to him when he arrived there. It is impossible to envisage what it must have been like to discover the tomb. In fact it was only Carter's determination, some would say bloody mindedness that uncovered a tomb that many eminent Egyptologist's of his day said did not exist. His backer Lord Caernarvon had been ready to give up the franchise months before, but agreed to give Howard Carter one last try.

There have been several documentaries in recent years that seem to go out of there way to discredit Howard Carter. Some allege that he had entered the tomb a long time before the official opening and had removed some of the wonderful objects for himself. It seems to me to be too easy to make accusations against someone who can no longer defend himself. Carter was a well respected Egyptologist and why he should do anything to jeopardise his reputation is beyond my belief.

This book is a must for the avid enthusiast of all things Egyptian. Even for those with only a passing interest in the Egyptian Pharaoh's and Tutankhamun in particular, the book is still worth a place on the bookshelf.
on 28 April 1998
This review refers to the hardcover edition.
Imagine what it would be like to peer into a small opening and seeing wonderful treasures that no one has seen for thousands of centries. This book gives you the first hand account of the most famous Egyptian archeological discovery of all time. The description of the treasures will send chills down your spine. Read about the evidence discovered that indicates ancient grave robbers were caught in the act of plundering Tut's tomb. The book gives an excellent account of opening the sarcophogus and examining Tut's mummy. I recommend this book to anyone interested in Egyptian archeology. The color plates in the book are beautiful.
on 8 August 2010
i cant even imagine what it must have felt like for Howard Carter when he peered in through the small hole and by candle light saw the contents of the tomb of Tutankhamen. probably the finest discovery in all history for the artefacts discovered.
this book is like a diary from the start of the digging to the just when just after the tomb has been opened and the contents are being catalogued.
would recommend this book to anyone with even a faint interest in egypt or history in general.
on 12 August 1999
I have studied Egypt for many years and just happened upon this book. What I found inside was a completely different man than what I had expected. His love for his work, his humility in the face of great celebrity, his reverence for the dead boy king are touching and uplifting. How fortunate is history that two men such as Howard Cater and Lord Carnarvon were entrusted with this amazing discovery and how generous of the Metropolitan Museum of Art to send a photographer of Harry Burton's abilities to record all of this for us. I wish I could find a biography on Carter, for he is a complex and fascinating man.
on 18 February 1999
This book was really good.If you have researched on the pharoh Tutankhamen you already know the man who first discovered his tomb was Mr.Howard Carter.Since this book was published before Carter died some time ago you can understand how he himself wrote this book.this book is very informative Carter explains what happened from the begining of the discoverey to the end.this book even tells some of the untold curses of King Tutankhamens tomb.This was a great book I would recomend it to anyone who has ever wonderd what it is really like
on 10 October 2015
I was studying the vast history of Egypt, I saw this Book, and thought it would assist me in my exploration, I was right, it is a well documented history of one our now more well know Egyptian ruler's the many items of gold and precious stones, found in his tomb, allows the reader to have an in depth view of this now young king
on 4 November 2013
The overall condition of this book was just okay. While the book is intact, the edge of the pages at the bottom is covered with a black substance that has dried in.