on 25 March 2010
The key difference between this and other chart pattern books is that the findings are supported by empirical testing -they are not just someone's opinion. Bulkowski also tells you exactly how to measure and identify patterns so you're not left squinting at your screen thinking, "Jeez, is that a Cup with Handle or a Double Bottom?" which I always found myself doing after reading other books. In fact, I went back and analysed some of my past losing trades after reading this book to discover that I had completely misidentified some patterns. He also lists statistical findings for performance, breakout targets, failure rates, etc, together with sample trades and advice on optimal strategy for each pattern. Well illustrated, clearly laid out. And with a decent, sturdy hardback that you can lie flat on the desk and study.

Bulkowski is clearly a serious trader who has made groundbreaking statistical investigation of both charts and candlesticks a key part of his trading. Whilst there are no magic bullets in the markets I found my understanding of chart patterns took a leap forward after reading this book and my timing of entries is hugely improved. One of the top five trading books I own.
on 29 January 2015
A lot of work has gone into this book and it could have been a really useful guide to assessing the merits of different patterns for trading purposes. Mr Bulkowski is described as an engineer so it is all the more surprising that his descriptions lack definition and logic and the statistics are very difficult to make use of, being set out in a disorderly manner. He is not an expert on pattern formation but in software and unfortunately has identified patterns mainly by programme and with poor results. In addition the period covered was limited to five years only, and that in a market that was almost entirely bullish. There is however much useful information here for those who have the patience and knowledge to sort the wheat from the chaff.
on 3 July 2011
The other reviews here have more than amply praised Bukowski's opus, and appropriately so. This is a necessary reference and study guide for anyone who wishes to master the markets. Pattern recognition is crucial, and knowing which patterns work best, and under what conditions is essential knowledge. And this is where you'll find that information.

What I would like to see from the author and Wiley are cheat sheets on the patterns. I've gone ahead and created my own, but standardized, ready reference cheat sheets would be a great additional resource. An online platform would be even better!
on 11 October 2009
Great if you're serious about learning about the in's and out's of chart patterns in detail - for those who want to get serious about technical trading. In depth information - not just a quick overview of patterns. Would recommend 'Getting started in chart patterns' by Thomas N. Bulkowski if you want a more general beginners overview with more explanation.
on 12 March 2012
Although nearly 1000 pages there is no concise methodology as to how any of the patterns are determined, instead provides vague descriptions like 'I search for a price pattern that looks like a bowl or saucer' etc.

Doesn't really cut it in this age where neural networks and other pattern recognition techniques can be used.
on 8 September 2014
Extremely fast delivery.Received book 4 days after ordering.New as stated.Very satisfied. Will buy again if opportunity arises.
on 30 April 2012
Interesting and unusual book. I'm interested in anything which helps put probabilities on my side when trading and this is a book which is all about measured results. The author is someone in the Darwin mold who watches and records almost to obsession. However if you believe in the concept of the "smart money" then it could be of great interest. Personally I have always found it difficult to see chart patterns, so this defines them in a useful way. I've combined this reference book with the author's Patternz software (available free at his website) and am currently trying to incorporate patterns into my trading approach. I was a bit cynical about the author initially, but when you read his book and his web site you don't meet the "savvy trader" you expect, you meet an altogether much more interesting and amusing character.
on 18 November 2008
I think this is one of the most comprensive books in chart patterns I ever read, I believe it is important to study this book as it helps me to analyze the chart patterns far better than other book. It is chart technique independent, I use it in combination with the candlestick charts I believe it help me to understand this human emotions better and to increase my probability of success dramatically.
on 31 January 2015