on 26 April 2000
I bought the book on the assumption that it would probably deliver about half what it promised and that would have been enough for my needs, I was Dumbstruck by the ease of nearly all of the techniques and wished I had purchased the book earlier. I now regularly multiply 3 digit by 3 digit numbers(ie 345 x 543=187335) in my head in 10's of seconds not minutes etc.
If you need to be numerate but are not, then within 30 days you could be and more! Buy it today
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 September 2013
So far, I've worked through this book (and its sequel) twice. And lo and behold, taking the same test at beginning and end I could complete more sums and in a faster time after working through the exercises.

They are brilliantly simple tips that only require a few minutes of effort to practice.

The only downside I've found is the tendency to forget and become rusty if you don't use your newfound skills regularly.

I tried these as an adult but plan on using them with my son when he teaches upper primary/lower secondary age.
on 8 March 2013
I was good at maths, and have a degree in it. However my arithmetic skills were never great, as I was always trying to duplicate those clunky ways of carrying and borrowing we were taught. Some of the ideas in this book are common sense, but somehow just never occured to me, but some of the tricks are mysterious and magical. Mathemagic, in fact. Highly recommended.
on 13 July 2009
Awesome book. I purchased this book because I wanted to improve my financial literacy and realised that I needed to raise my maths game. It really helped me out a lot and now a lot of people say 'damn, your good with numbers'. I would also check out Vedic Mathematics; which this book touches on briefly.

If only these books were taught to primary school children then we would have Einstein's already. Because current teaching methods and books are completely outdated. Damn.
on 14 March 2017
Great! I love it
on 19 July 1999
This is one powerful book. Master the techniques in this book and your whole life will change. People will be flabbergasted as to how you perform mental calculations faster than they can perform them on a calculator. Don't be a "mathmatically challanged" person any longer. Just do it!
on 10 December 2012
Came quickly- book is really user friendly and straight forward and the tips are really handy. Have put it an application to do my PGCE for Primary Teaching next September so am using it to brush up on my mental maths skills for the pre-entry exams and then obviously for when I start teaching too!
on 6 February 2011
Purchased this years ago and used it to teach my nieces and nephews tricks to do maths quickly. They loved the fact that with its help they could beat their friends AND teachers at doing sums! My copy got lost in a move, so bought this copy to continue teaching the younger nieces and now great-nieces not just how to do quick math, but to love it as well. It becomes like second nature to them and even now (the older ones being in their twenties) they still amaze their friends with their speed at math!
on 16 June 2013
I have no interest in learning 'rapid tricks', but I did have a bunch of job interviews, many of which required me to brush up on my mental arithmetic skills. This book was very useful in providing lots and lots of practice questions to get my mind working quickly again. Personally, I think to do mental arithmetic you just need practice, not a bunch of rules to remember - you'll find you get used to doing your own shortcuts very quickly. But, this book was great as a source of practice problems so I can recommend it on that front.
on 6 April 2015
Bought this for my god-daughter as she was struggling with her maths. After 2 weeks of following the simple techniques her maths has improved and so to has her confidence with figures, even her teacher has noticed a difference. It only takes 10 minutes a day but so worth it even I've learnt alot.