Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 January 2003
I bought this book several months ago, as a novice to quantitative mathematics in finance, and I still have not finished it.
This is aimed at a post graduate audience, with sound mathematical backgound: most of the material seems to follow the taste of university course suppliment text. It is not a negative sign however, as the text is well organised, and all definitions are nicely highlighted ant presented in easy-to-remember point form.
Each chapter follows an excercise section, but sadly no answers are provided, which is again characteristic of John Hull's book as well (though he has published answers in a separate book.) I think this lack of answers the single most important improvement the author could have provided, which largely forced me to hold back the fifth star in my rating.
Compared with John Hull's book, I find Kuthbertson's marginally less readable and slightly more pendantic, but it does not anyway undermine the quality of presentation, level of details and the precision. However, I think this book comes across slightly better than Hull's as a reference with is clearer presentation, and ample margin space for reader notes..!!
In terms of the coverage, the book spans five sections; the first, second and third introducing the fundamental markets and instruments, the fourth covering the more complex dferivatives and valuation processes (eg: Ito's processes, Black-Sholes valuation), and the fifth on regulation, Value at risk (VaR) and credit risk.
I find Hull's book a better preliminary read, and this book a good reference later on. My advice in both cases is, unless you're a day-to-day savvy mathematician, to have a good statistics and calculus book (sort of engineering mathematics) handy for tackling exercises, and not to be detered by the problems that looks too complex by the first glance.
on 29 September 2011
I bought this book as a supplement to the Hull book but this is not close to the standards I expected. The material covered is (though exhaustive) but does not go to the level explained in the Hull book. I am ready to sell this one.
on 24 February 2016
Book is good. The wear (I bought it used) is more significant than described. It's by all means still usable, but to call the condition very good is a bit of a stretch.
on 27 February 2009
The book is fantastic and covers the basic and advanced topics related to financial engineering. Written by renowned academicians, it helps understand the topics and build good knowledge. I recommend the book. Also the delivery was very much in time as promised by Amazon.com. Thanks Amazon for your service.