Customer reviews

on 29 July 2002
I purchased this book after the excelent Million Dollar Consulting, with a view to setting up my own firm and I must say that the book has proved to be invaluable!
Alan Weiss' conversational writing style makes his books easy to read. He has the knack of making the daunting seem realistic and achievable, due to the systematic nature with which he breaks down the process of setting up your own practice.
Every few pages contain conversations with other consulting firms about what they have learned since setting up their own businesses and what they would do differently next time. These insights can cut years off your learning curve!
There is also excellent advice on how to go about raising your profile via keynote speeches, writing articles, and many other hints and tips to add value to your services.
One key point he makes is that of not charging per diem or hourly and the concept of charging project fees basaed on value outcomes to the client. This can help you to make considerably more money and differentiate yourself from the myriad of consultants offering commodity services and charging hourly or daily rates.
Finally, the appendices offer invaluable advice ranging from the content of your brochure and office essentials to the various trade organisations you can liaise with to network.
Definately a book to keep referring to!
on 3 April 2001
I obtained this book from my local library and made a few notes as I was reading through it. This worked well until I reached the chapter "Closing the Sale" which incorporates the "Nine Steps of Great Proposals"; I then realised that I would want to refer back to this time and time again so I logged straight on to Amazon to order my own copy.
The title understates the usefulness of this book by including "Getting started in." ALL consultants of whatever level of experience are certain to find something in this book which digs them in the ribs and says "you really aren't getting the most out of your work, are you ?"
Very few of us aspire to the levels of success that Alan Weiss achieves but he gave me the confidence to believe that I can achieve considerably more than before I took the book off the shelf.
My only caveat is that there are some elements in which the U.S. origin reduces the value because the organisations listed are US-based, however a little research should identify UK equivalents for many of them.
on 13 October 2011
this book is more targeted for people who want to start their own consulting company rather than those who want to get into consulting from scratch. so not really the book i wanted or needed, although some of it does apply, a lot is irrelevant to me as i am not setting up my own business!
on 23 January 2017
Worth a read. Don't take it all to heart. Some very relevant, some not so...
on 4 May 2015
Okay
on 20 January 2011
This is a well written book, easy to read with lots of useful information. It has given me lots of really good tips when choosing whether to set up as a sole trader or incorporating, when hiring an accountant, deciding on equipment and how to start going,... If I had to find something to criticise it would be the assumption that one goes into consultancy for the big money and the comments that if you are not doing certain things it means your heart is not in it. But even that is not a major downside since Alan Weiss in fact gives good advice on how to protect your time with your family and not to get sucked into working all hours.
I would ceratinly recommend this book.
on 31 May 2011
This is an accessible read packed with useful examples of how to establish a consultancy. The guidance is still focused upon a US audience and elements relating to tax, pensions, insurance etc will provide an overview but not be particularly helpful for those in the UK. The guidance on how to conduct the business, business development, client relationships, pitching fees are very helpful. The author also gives guidance on avoiding dead-ends and pursuing misconceptions that in reality yield little business.
on 7 September 2005
I have been running a consulting business for 4 years now, and amoungst the many books I read on start up and since this has been the most useful and supportive. Having got it out from the library (preserving funds at the early stage), I then bought the latest edition of the book, have given it as a present to a freind who was starting up and used it on and off for the last 4 years.
I would recommend this as your first port of call if starting up.
on 13 June 2013
Typically Weiss, common sense throughout with a unique contarian perspective.

If you have trouble translating from American to English then you may struggle as it is written for the domestic market, but excellent lessons, views, lists of does and don'ts and sound advice. You can't get better than the million dollar consultant for accurate and workable advice.
on 8 July 2012
I am about to start a consultancy and this book has pointed me in the right direction. I am not going into management services however it is relevant to mu field. This is a must-read.