on 5 June 2017
Fantastic book. One gains a good grasp of abusive relationships.
on 8 June 2017
Excellent
on 30 October 2017
great
on 23 July 2007
I can't recommend this enough. Packed with clearly presented information, easy to read, clear exercises, plus she herself was abusive and worked through it, so is completely speaking from a place of real informed balance and empathy.
44 Comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 November 2012
If you want to understand the skilled abuser who is using, amongst other methods, projection and emotional blackmail against you, whilst convincing you the problem is 'YOU'----

Just read it and act. Take back your power and your life.

Highly recommended.

James Black LL.B (Hons)
on 15 August 2009
This book gives great insight into what has been going on in your abusive relationship. It helps you acknowledge, understand and stop the abuse. Also pointing out that sometimes the only answer is to GET OUT!!!!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 July 2015
I found this book to be very informative. It speaks to you in easy to understand terms.
It gives examples of cases as it goes along but most useful of all, it tells you how to get out of an abusive relationship.
I have a friend who is going through this and I needed to know how to help.
This book has pointed me in the right direction, and has taught me to say the right things without sounding preachy or lecturing.
The advice given in the book is working because I can see my friend - very gradually - learning how to handle their situation.
on 6 August 2017
One of the things I love this book is that it doesn't assume gender or sexual orientation in the discussion or examples, and there's no religion. So many of these books seem to be written from such a Christian perspective with male-female gender norm couplings that it's hard to apply them if your situation doesn't fit that mould.

This book is a hard read. Probably for both parties, but as someone who has been abusive it was gut wrenching. A lot of it was also focused on fixing a broken relationship, so if like me you're too late and your partner has already left it's especially hard to swallow as it's full of things that if I'd heard and done a year ago might have saved us. That said there are good sections on moving forward and not making the same mistakes again. I have a lot of work to do, but at least now I have a road map.
on 9 August 2016
I believe I have been in an emotionally abusive relationship with my wife for around 15 years, although it has been a very slow process of realisation for me. I searched in vain for years of some kind of third party validation and this book is the first and so far only place i have found this. I am amazed that most books on abuse within relationships assume that it is a male on female phenomenon. i am also saddened that most treat the abuser as beyond redemption. This hope this becomes a more widely understood issue in the coming years, and i believe this book will go a long way to help people with this awful affliction.
on 31 March 2011
Has been a life saver, with so much wisdom that even rereading it years later, gems still appear, cant rate it highly enough.