Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 October 2009
I bought this book as our company was moving into the digital world of marketing. Considering my knowledge of the digital world (compared to others that had none) I was selected to create an effective e-mail marketing plan and take it into action. Unfortunately due to the low budget I did not recieve any training or schooling on this matter and decided to buy this self-help book to take action. I found this book easy to ready, follow and effective that gave me good end results; especially with a check list that I could follow up with. I would certainly recommend this book to all who need to move into the digital marketing world with a low budget yet effective results.
on 12 February 2011
Summary:

A decent introduction to Email Marketing.

Covers the basics and gives you a good grounding. Goes into depth in just about every area of Email Marketing that you need to know about. It just lacked 'sparkle' as a book for me and I found it heavy going.

3.5 stars would be a more accurate rating.

Review:

What can you say about Dummies books? They're well written, easy to read and comprehensive. Indeed, you're actually very smart in reading them.

This book on Email Marketing is no exception. It's well written, easy to read and comprehensive. It's just that I found it a little...dull.

Maybe this is because I'm too familiar with the content (Disclosure: I train people in Email Marketing). Or maybe it's because you can't write exciting prose (can you?) about 'From Fields', 'Subject Lines', HTML formatting and Bounce Rates etc.

On the positive side, if you're thinking about starting Email Marketing or would like to improve your existing campaigns, then this book will give you plenty to think about. There's not a stone left unturned. Every important aspect of Email is covered in plenty of detail.

For example, there's a good section on Strategy and Planning. Which is an area of Email Marketing that I find is lacking in many organisations.

Nevertheless, for me, the downsides of the book include the fact that this version of the book is looking dated. It doesn't mention 'social media' at all (I've just double checked by searching for the keywords on my Kindle App). And, unsurprisingly, it doesn't relate well in a UK or European legal framework.

Finally, I've just realised, I think, why I've struggled to engage with this book.

As with all Dummies books, this book is page after page of checklists. Or even paragraphs that read like checklists.

Although checklists are useful, they become boring to read very quickly :(
on 18 October 2010
I normally like the dummies series. I can't though go with this one. Most of the book seems concerned with spam. (I know no-one likes spam.)The result is that I know more than I need to about spam and not very much more about email marketing.
on 9 May 2010
Easy to understand book on email marketing, although a bit annoyed it cost me £10 for a (dated) sales pitch of Constant Contact.

Lessons are transferable globally (but like most books published internationally, with an American angle) not all statements apply to other regions and territories.
on 26 March 2012
despatched on time and in good codition a book that is written assuming yuo are going to use the likes of mial chimp
on 12 April 2014
I'm pleased I chose this one above all that was available. Written so that it was easily followed and understood.
on 29 October 2014
It is for extreme kind of dummies since it does not contain much useful information
sorry
on 28 November 2010
As with all Dummies guides, this book does what it says on the front. It will help you make the most of email marketing, and, as someone who is responsible for campaigns with in excess of 6 million email contacts a year, I'm speaking from experience. Buy it... you won't regret it.

Jason Sullock, author of 555 Quick n Dirty Marketing Tips