on 28 June 2015
Brilliant!
Just as in her cooking blog, Tartelette, Helene has achieved a skilful combination of art and technique and has produced a guide which is both lovely and practical. Thank you Helene...just in time to help me with my own new blog: [...]
VINE VOICEon 27 May 2012
Everyone has, so far, given this book 5 stars and deservedly so. It is not technical in the sense of giving detailed photo advice or direction, but every shot has details of lens used, f-stop and shutter speed. The writer speaks about equipment used and the pictures largely speak for themselves; shot in natural light, for the most part, with interesting props and discussion on the decision making process regarding depth of field and product placement. I looked at other food photography books and was persuaded to but this one partly by others' feedback, but also from reading information from the look inside section. Other books offered similar and more, but, it seemed to me, failed to deliver as much as this unassumimg and enjoyable book. Easy to read cover to cover, with lots to absorb and more than enough to hold your interest while you are learning quite a lot that is new. I used to be a professional photographer: I take the odd wedding nowadays, if asked and am about to embark on a food photoshoot for a calendar, something I have not done for some time; I found this book very useful and am glad i bought it. I did not expect it to be a how to do it technical manual and it is not, but it is stimulating and ideas generating, which is what it sets out to achieve, successfully.
on 26 November 2011
This book is a fantastic primer on photography and in particular food photography and presentation. I'm a budding food photographer and really enjoyed reading this book as it made me feel more confident in how to set up a scene before shooting and how to approach winter no-light situations. Her style of photography and choice of props is very tasteful and classic. I highly recommend this book!
on 15 August 2011
A very interesting and easy manual to photograph food. The author gives all, not hiden secrets, only good and practical advise. It made me understand some camera's features and gave me some confidence with it.
on 16 May 2013
I have only read a few chapters so far but i can see that it is a fantastic book. Well written, great detail and perfect for anyone at any level of photography
on 14 April 2013
A well explained system for food photography. Always looking for the simpler answer - natural light, dining table, home made reflectors. I wish I'd had this book a few years ago.
on 1 September 2012
I own a food blog website, it's smthg I do for a hobby, but after a while I wanted it to look a little more professional, with pretty food pictures to go with it. Hence, I did some research and I ended up buying this book ~ and boy, am I glad I did. I have never worked with anything more than just a regular hand-held, point n shoot camera for all my food photos, but after reading this book I felt ready to get myself an entry level dSLR. By following the instructions in this well written book, my food photos have benefitted remarkably ... I mean the quality and sharpness of my photos impress me immensely. They still aren't perfect but I am learning smthg new everyday.

I cannot even begin to tell you how much I have learnt about light, lighting methods and manipulating it in order to capture an awesome snap. I NEVER KNEW!! I used to use flash photography for everything, but now I know better and suddenly I have options. Shooting in natural light has become a huge favourite of mine.

Then there is the whole thing about focus and choosing the appropriate backdrop; placement of food subjects; equipment required; how to do post-editing; props ... the list goes on. All in all I find this book very concise and easy to read and follow ~ especially for a photography newbie such as myself. I haven't had my new dSLR for very long, a couple of months, but already I am inspired and enthusiastic about the future of my photography skills and the success of my food blog.

Definitely a good buy.
on 5 March 2012
Wonderful quality product - with some great images to inspire. I have not read it cover to cover yet, but loving what I have seen so far. Quality product.
on 5 November 2011
I've been reading a lot in Food Styling books, this one I have started the first chapter and sneak through the book. Lots of information, details of how use your camera setting for food, light,composition,styling, everything you need to know as a guide. I'm really looking forward to get into this after finishing others. I'd recommnend this one,too.