on 13 September 2014
OK, I was taken in by the title, I'm not decrying the quality of the writing, it is very well written, but the usual Dummies format is to take you from zero to hero. This book doesn't do that and that is what I had hoped for, as I have stated, it is written well but levelled at a higher level of comprehension than my present one (i.e. a dummy).
on 23 September 2014
Delivered in good order - no problems thank you
on 15 February 2015
excellent poroduct
on 20 December 2011
The SQL for Dummies book is not what was expected from a Dummies title.

There are few practical exercises but a lot of history of why and how SQL came about. Unlike most Dummie titles this one cannot be used as a quick reference for statements or ideas. There is no project to build explaining database designe and how SQL navigates the designe to manipulate the database. Instead what you do get is a long explanation of database history followed by a long explanation of SQL history.

Personaly I would have liked to see a project from start to finish incorporating ideas and procedures along the way. The history lesson was good but when I buy a Dummies book I want to get straight to the important information of how to use not where it came from.

3/5 would have been 2.5/5 if i were allowed halves.
Good but without quick reference and exercises missing the point.

David.
on 18 November 2014
I am reviewing this book in the context of the title and the expectations I believe people have when buying a For Dummies book. Like some other reviewers I found the book very wordy and long winded, and ostensibly written as a history and theory of SQL rather than a practical hands-on guide. Even the 'practical' sections seem to be general theory and don't seem to give actual examples that you can follow on a DBMS. Other 'For Dummies' books that I bought which are great examples of actually teaching you practical skills without a lot of unnecessary waffle are 'R for Dummies' and 'Excel VBA Programming for Dummies'.

Another SQL book that I bought (which I will not name in case it makes the review seem biased) is about a third of the size and gets straight to the point, learning the syntax hands on with actual examples of creating, modifying, and querying databases that you can follow in your chosen DBMS, (and therefore learn SQL).

As a further indication of the book's un-usefulness (but I wouldn't say 'uselessness') is that I leant it to someone for about a year (after realising it was no use to me) and when I got it back from him he had bought another (smaller) SQL book and had only read a few chapters (of book 1 out of 8) of 'SQL all in one for dummies'.

If it were rebadged accordingly, such as "a general history and theory of SQL" then I'm confident it would be useful to some people, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it to someone hoping to pick up SQL in a practical and time-efficient way.

The blurb on the Amazon page says "You'll get the goods on relational database design, development, and maintenance, enabling you to start working with SQL right away!"; I take it whoever wrote that has not tried learning SQL from this book.
on 6 February 2013
I knew very little about SQL or relational databases before starting on this - I now know more! But the reading experience is superior on mac book pro that my old Kindle - which struggles with the layout.
on 28 December 2014
great thanks
on 15 September 2014
very useful
on 23 May 2016
Great book
on 26 March 2013
Easy reading, detail information. A very clear content and above all it is not boring as most of the IT books.
A good way of learning or improve your knowledge of SQL.