on 9 January 2015
The ninth edition coming from the year 2000 is yet another updated and improved version of this brilliant book of endless discoveries of fascinating facts about our complex bodies. I only own and read seventh edition so far from 1993, so I can compare it to that one. The structure of chapters and overall outline of the book is very similar, even if the text and all pictures and diagrams seems to be brand new. So there is 29 chapters throughout over 1050 pages of main text, then the appendixes, glossary, credits, and the index (priceless thing-really).

Many new elements, like for example, the term glucose transporter GluT in carbohydrate metabolism, are introduced and nicely incorporated into the storyline of the book. In 7-th edition, there's no mention of GluT, so it doesn't mean that the older version is wrong, it's just less accurate. And exactly this accuracy is improved with every new edition, which comes out roughly every 3-4 years.

My favorite chapters 25 on metabolism and 27 on fluid and electrolyte homeostasis, are even better than in 7-th edition, even if there is literally tons of knowledge on every page of this book. I was pleasantly surprised by even stronger integrity and complelingness of the text. It's written with very systematic and explanatory style. Included are questions and answers at the end of each chapter, and at the beginning, there is summary of the structure of that particular chapter. So the book is highly suited for self-teaching, or even for teaching it to others.

Another difference is including of CD-ROM with interactive interface for further deepening and recapitulation of already absorbed knowledge from reading. The official website of this book is here for you as well, supporting students or any other individuals interested in human anatomy and physiology. Plus it comes with extra 25 pages big atlas of human skeleton, The latest version is currently the 14-th edition, but as I said each version itself is the material for months and months of study. Enjoy and grow wiser.
on 14 June 2015
I got this book as I am currently studying sports therapy. This was the number 1 in recommended texts to purchase for assignments and I can see why. The amount of detail within topics is brilliant. Everything I have needed to know has been explained well and with diagrams. I am very happy that I own this book and I urge anyone who requires to learn about the body to buy this also. You won't regret it. Well worth the money!
on 25 March 2017
good price. good book. alot of pages had writing and highlights on, which was a bit off putting when I had to study those subjects. can't complain too much for the price though
on 10 March 2017
Fast delivery and as described
on 5 August 2014
I love these books and they are such a good investment! They are well written and have great pictures. A must have for anyone in the Health care profession.
on 24 April 2017
very detailed!
on 1 June 2011
I'm a first year radiography student and I bought this book because I felt that I needed to supplement the two other anatomy and physiology books (Moore & Daly - anatomy, Pocock - Physiology) that I purchased as part of my uni reading list. I am delighted with Tortora. The atlas is very useful as a quick reference and I appreciate the style of writing in the textbooks - it is much more reader friendly as it explains things more clearly that the other books on my list.
The diagrams are very good also although some of them do lack the detail of the diagrams in Pocock and Moore and Daly. I like that the content is split into 2 volumes - saves me a lot of backache!!
Please note that I am not in anyway saying that Moore & Daly and Pocock are insufficient books. I just benefit from the writing style of Tortora.
Some of my classmates use Tortora alone and are very happy with it as an all-rounder; I just like to have a variety.
on 16 March 2017
This book is amazing! I ordered this book after finding so many references from the book when I was doing my A&P modules. I am a qualified ICU nurse and I wish i had this book few years back when I was studying Nursing. But still its by far the best A&P book I've ever come across. I'd definitley recommend anyone who is studying healthcare subject. Also comes with an atlas of the skeleton which is a bonus!
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on 17 March 2017
brill for my university course. amazing book..great price
on 7 June 2001
I'm a physics undergraduate with an intense interest in anatomy and physiology. Diagrams are clear and concise, explanations not overloaded. With texts as readable as this, I might even be tempted to start thinking about 'medical physics' as a career path!