Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 June 2011
I have Lammle's book from 10 or so years ago and thought it was good back then. After almost a decade away from routers etc., I am studying CCNA again, but this time with the Cisco Academy online, and wanted a book to leaf through and make notes.

I was disappointed with this book. The index is not very comprehensive. There is no summary of commands like in the earlier book. Some key topics from the Cisco Academy course are simply glossed over with hardly any detail or completely missing. For example, the Routing Table is glossed over without going into recursive look up, parent & child routes etc. - all covered in detail in the Cisco course with questions asked on their ERouting exam.

Perhaps most annoying is that Lammle leaves so many questions dangling and merely says something like 'I'll cover this later in the chapter' or 'in a later chapter'. You then have to spend ages thumbing and scanning pages to find out where he returns to the point to complete the explanation. Often when you get there, the explanation doesn't really add very much.

I know the book is intended to be a 'cram' book, but the questions on the ENetworks and ERouting exams I have taken so far have required more than just the memorisation of certain facts.

The proof is in the pudding and I have to admit that I seldom use this book as it doesn't really offer anything.

I wish I'd bought one of the Cisco Press books.
on 22 November 2011
I really like the book because it provides examples at each chapter
the reader can easily understand the learning material and the print screens.

very good, keep up the good work. worthy for your money.
on 27 August 2015
I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in a career in networking. I am a first year games development student and this book was recommended for my networking module and I must say it hasn't let me down. come with a PDF, Test software to practice what you've learned flash cards for hand held devices. If you couple this book with wireshark (free software) and either router simulator or Cisco Packet Tracer you will be well on your way to success.

Delivery was much quicker than expected 10/10 would buy again
on 14 May 2011
I'm actually taking the Cisco CCNA Exam this summer. This book is perfect for revision! Much better than the online powerpoints, so much more information; it's the best! Definitely get it if you're stuck for revision methods!
55 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 December 2011
Finding this author very ambiguous at times, perhaps its me? Read some of the reviews apprently not. Overall it appears to be a reasonble study companion.
on 20 June 2011
I bought this book because everybody was raving about how Lammle really explained things on an easy way. I was very disappointed and not only in the extremely bad quality of the paper. Lammle only talks about the stuff you need to know without really explaining them. I have read certain parts several times without ever finding out what he's talking about. I bought the 4 books from cisco for the ICND1 and ICND2 exams and had many AHA! moments that I never found in Lammle's books. Save yourself the money and buy the Cisco books.
on 30 October 2011
An essential well written book for students in further or higher education, that are studying computer IT and networking. The book covers the fundamental topics required, whether just taking the CCNA examination or studying for a university course in computer sciences. Cisco are a leading authority in the field of computer sciences and are unrivalled by other publications. I would recommend this book to students as being essential to own !!
on 19 April 2012
The description for the books references a CDRom, I bought the Kindle edition so I can carry it around with me but I also need the content from the CDRom. How do I get this content, is there a download site that I can go to or is this something that Amazon will provide?
on 19 January 2013
Useful book and one explains stuff better than the Official Cisco books. I recommend it. I would use it in conjunction with other materials though such as training vids or another written source. CCNA is such a vast topic.
on 3 September 2012
Very good Book.
I had already passed by CCNA a few years back but it had expired and I needed to renew. Some of the topics had changed slighlty (now includes IPV6 and NAT) and needed an up to date book to include this.

Book is very good. Couple of areas where it is a little confusing but you can google these for clarity from other sites. One example is that it references broadcasts not being supported in frame relay, When in reality you have to use a special broadcast command to include it.

The questions in the book are a little easy compared to the exam, and the audio and video ref material (free stuff) are not very good , however neither of these things should stop you from buying the book as the overall content is very readable and informative.

Would suggest you also get the Exam cram book as it covers bits (pet question specifics) and raises questions that are not covered in this book (such as the frame relay broadcast piece) .

These 2 books (+ previous experience) enabled me to re-certify !