Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 February 2014
got to page 25 before giving up . I believe you have to know electronics in order to get any use out of this - a shame because dummies guides are usually very good
on 1 March 2017
Great book
on 3 January 2012
After a working life which had occasionally involved me with electronics at a level which hadn't demanded too deep an understanding of the design principles, I was looking for a book that would let me now get involved as a hobbyist, allowing me to modify existing published circuits, or hopefully, to even design my own. I've usually found the Dummies series of books to be very well written and comprehensive enough, and this one hasn't disappointed me in any way.

It's an excellent introduction to the subject, or as an aid to clarifying the details of what you already (nearly) know. Its style doesn't demand too much, unlike many other books on electronics that I have looked at, and one or two that I actually own. It's easy to read, and the explanations of what can be quite complex principles are as clear as they can be, I think. The book doesn't skim over too much of the detail, and when it needs to it warns that further detail exists, but is beyond its scope.

Introductions to the principles for making design calculations may seem intrusive to some readers, but is necessary to know about if you want to design even the simplest circuits and have them work after you build them. If you just want to understand the principles, detailed understanding of the equations can be skipped unless/until you need them. Good value. Recommended.
on 7 April 2017
As expected. For Dummies....
on 31 March 2006
What you get out of this book will largely depend on your experience. I have been asked for my new job to do a course in Electrical/Electronic Engineering.
I have no prior knowledge and joined the course a month late. I'm now doing ok in the course and it's with no small ammount of thanks to this book.
It's a brilliant into to Electronics, but Electronics only. Depending on your course you will need a separate book for Electrical principles which isn't really covered here. I'd recommend a John Bird book for that.
This book is a really easy intoduction to the subject and at this price would definately suggest you look at it if you want a pretty thorough introduction based at beginner level.
on 8 December 2015
good reference
on 3 May 2017
Sent back as no good
on 29 September 2006
Not a bad book. Really basic - as you would expect from a "for dummies" book. The sense of humour can get a little tiresome but they are trying to make it light and easy to read. It is basically perparing you to do electronics projects at home, (building simple circuits and stuff). Includes descriptions of the basic electronic components, help on soldering and making your own PCBs.

I thought I spotted some mistakes, (4 on one page!). On one page anodes are positive, on the next they are negative.

Note that the units, and symbols are American and not always the same as British. They don't have crocodile clips, they have alligator clips. That made me laugh.

On the whole, I though it was good for beginners or even just to brush up on some basic knowledge. Good to keep for reference to formulas and things to.
11 Comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 August 2012
Having taken out many books on electronics from the local library I have found all of them wanting; they very rapidly become very technical and difficult to follow. This book is different in that it explains the basics but in detail, so that although the circuits described are simple enough, the book tells you what each component is doing, and why it is doing it, and what the result is, which no other electronics book I have come across does. There is some maths in the book but it is not difficult and it seems to me that in order to make progress in electronics you absolutely need to have some understanding of the maths element.
All in all a useful and practical explanation of a tricky subject.
on 12 February 2013
Decided to teach myself electronics and after reading many reveiws i purchased this book on the subject. So far it has been clear and concise in its explanations and diagrams. Gives a good solid basic grasp of electronics with lots of helpful information which I have found very useful and pretty good in being pretty loose in that you can jump around the book and start with different parts.

Page 202 has a starter list of needed/recomended parts as pretty daunting trying to find a kit with the right selection of parts etc (found one on ebay £18)

The theory can be heavy, and yes there are some scary equations but they ae nicely explained and you can always come back to those parts. Its been 20 years since i have used algebra but have found it well done if you take it a bite at a time, and as the book states you can skip some sections as you don't need to know some parts unless you are going to go in depth into that area of electronics.

If you want to get into electronics then this is certainly worth the £10