on 4 February 2015
Contents is really good and logical. This book convinced me that TDD is a must-to-use methodology, especially in agile environment. But I've given only 4 stars rating because of many context mistakes: sometimes code doesn't match description, or another class name is used insted of the correct one. But if you read and understand the content, you'll easily reveal such places.
I wouldn't recommend this book to the beginer programmers. It's better to be familiar with OOP, SOLID principles, Dependency Injection pattern and stuff like that, because this book relies on understanding those things and covers it very briefly.
on 26 October 2012
Before reading this book I found unit testing to be a chore, which I would rather have avoided, given the choice. Why write a hundred lines of code, when you can get the same thing done with a single line?

The book starts by explaining all the principles for writing quality code, and how they relate to unit testing. Principles like single responsibility, don't repeat yourself, dependency injection, mocking, etc. I had heard of and used many of them before, but I didn't really understand how they all fitted together and aided testing.

Having read this book, I now have a new appreciation for writing tests. I feel like I don't even want to look at my old code, which, while it took only days to write, is a bit like a Casio, compared to the Rolex that it could have been.

Every new piece of code takes all of these principles into account, and I feel particularly proud of the quality of my creations.

Stephen Oberauer
Author of The Mischievous Nerd's Guide to World Domination
on 14 January 2013
I'm new to TDD and bought this book to cover the fundamentals. I think that I've got everything covered. Based on this book I started using unit tests in my actual projects and I'm glad I did. The book explains not just the technical view of testing (like what attributes your test class should have), but also the business client need for testing and how those two are related - a very interesting aspect.
on 30 March 2015
I was after a book that I hoped would explain the process of TDD, and have 'proper', 'real world' examples of how to do TDD within Visual Studio. This is not it.

Part 1 of the book starts off well explaining the basics of TDD, unit testing and refactoring, with the typical trivial examples when introducing new concepts to the reader.

For me, the book badly falls down in the second part 'Putting Basics into Action' .The authors introduce and rely on far too many third party tools and frameworks. The material could have been made far more accessible by reducing the reliance on these tools, for me it increased the learning curve unnecessarily, and made working through the section a real chore. Too much focus on the tools, and not the job at hand.

I've currently stalled with this book, and have no enthusiasm to tackle the remaining sections.
on 10 October 2015
This book was referred to me whilst on computer programming course. it is utterly addictive and fantastically written. Great read for anyone even with the remotest of interest in computer programming. i will garantee any reader will be quickly converted!!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 October 2015
Excellent read but could do with some additional advanced examples
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse