on 30 December 2012
This book is a must for any photographer wanting to explore the world of B&W. The author has divided the book into well planned route to achieving images from 'Thinking and Capturing Images in B&W' through to the delivering the final work of art via the use of Image Editing tools. However, there is an element of reliance of good working knowledge in composing and understanding camera craft - for me, this is a good move by Harold Davis. Too many books of this type get bog down in the camera technology and not the 'doing' and 'delivering' your final creative product 'The Print'.

As with understanding camera craft, the reader must have good working experience of image editing tools: Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop and Nik Silver Flex. But it should be said, these tools are a must for delivering the final part, with your own artistic vision, on the print. The instructions of the use of imaging tools are well introduced, but sufficient room for each photographer to add their own 'signature or style'.

This book is a practical book, and not a coffee-table book for occasional read! Use the techniques to archive your own B&W vision. The only small disappointment was a chapter (or two) on the printing side, as an introduction, - use of new grade of inkjet printers like the Epson R3000 that can deliver the final part of the B&W chain. Hence the need to purchase 'Fine Art Printing for Photographers'.

Overall, a book for ALL digital photographers who would like to achieve a good foundation in knowledge acquisition and mastering the 'mystical' world of Black & White photography guarded by so many photographer. However, we must build on the foundations presented in this book to archive our own creative B&W vision.
on 28 April 2012
This book has given me much needed knowledge on how to both think and work with black and white photography, and also made me more motivated to take pictures. It is easy accessable even though english isn't my native language. The picture examples serves as good examples both for techniques illustrated, but also as inspiration for finding motives that will work in b&w, and for seeing motives in general.
on 5 February 2012
This is a very useful book for photographers who want to add extra punch to their black and white images. It provides practical and useable information in a very readable, yet not overly basic form.

He covers subjects such as composition, appropriate subjects, the best sort of image to process in monochrome, and goes on to tell you how to process the best way for monochrome in several apps. He deals with solarisation, toning, selective colour etc.

The entire book is written in such a readable manner it is as if the author is talking you through it.
on 18 January 2014
This is a very good book and excellent value for money but you need to be using Photoshop to make the most of it. There are 50-odd pages of general (very good) information on black & white photography, a dozen pages on using Lightroom and well over a hundred pages on using Photoshop. I probably wouldn't have bought it had I known this and if I hadn't been given a gift certificate recently. Which is a shame, because I would have missed out on some good information. I will still use the book and I'm glad I bought it but I don't use Photoshop and therefore many of the techniques will not apply in my case.
on 26 June 2014
There isn't a great deal in here about black and white photography. Most of it's about software and most of that's about Photoshop. Rather than explain the principles clearly to allow the reader to use whatever photo editing software they choose, the author concentrates on detailed explanations of how to do things in Photoshop.

So if that's what you want, probably four or five starts; if you were looking at creative black and white digital photography I'm afraid you'll be disappointed.
on 5 November 2012
this book is a very good state of the art, with lots of ideas and tecniques
easy to understand, a true guide to the medium
congratulations!
on 4 August 2013
The main reason I like this book is that it covers many aspects of mono tone photography in quite a brief but still a fairly thorough way. It doesn't go into tens of pages of waffle for each sub section like some books just to boost the page count and therefore the price. I've been into photography for 15 years and I still managed to pick up a few things I didn't know.
I thought the way in which he introduces the concept of mono tone imagery and then brings us into the digital age is very well done.
He offers up some pretty useful digital editing techniques which I haven't seen.
All in all this book didn't blow me away but I'm very glad to own it. The images in the book range from ok(ish) to good but for me that's not so important. He manages to pass on the important info.
I would recommend this product to any low to mid level photographer.
on 29 July 2013
A look back to times of B&W film developing and processing, purchased as a refresher on much forgotten photographic principles and application to the digital format, not finished reading it yet, but so far found it a very useful reminder.
on 2 April 2013
An excellently written book, full of ideas and tips for progressing your black and white photography. I would recommend this book to the experienced photographer looking to progress their monochrome work to the next level.
on 12 November 2013
I was keen to further my knowledge on the subject of black and white photography and was looking for some inspiration. The reviews seemed very good for this book so I bought it and I am so glad I did. Harold Davis has written a real winner with this book, there are some great photos and fantastic ideas to help you think outside the box. I was particularly interested in the jpeg vs raw section and found it most helpful especially as I have limited knowledge of this format. There are a number other photos which require a double take in this book and so it makes for a fascinating read, next day delivery from amazon prime so I received this gem of a book on time.