on 29 July 2010
I am resonably computer literate and am qualified in Java programming at degree level. Ok, I'm no genius but neither am I an idiot.
This book told me NOTHING about legal hacking. It seems to be full of references for those who already have a grasp of the subject. The usual format of Dummies books (start from the basics and build up) is completely absent. If advertised as a reference book for the amateur hacker it would be fine but as a teaching manual (what Dummies books are famed for) it FAILS ABYSMALLY!
Very very disapointed. It will now gather dust on my shelf.
Complete waste of money.
on 19 March 2011
This book has quite a lot of useful info, but also a lot of jargon. You really need more basic info on the workings of web sites before fully understanding this book. However about 3/4 of the book is about telling you to get permission from the web site or network owner before testing (hacking) their facilities, which I didn't need, and to make it worse it's repeated over and over again; so as far as I am concerned the book could have been about 1/4 of the thickness. It would have been more useful to explain more about basic web site workings; although that probably is the content of 1/4 of another book?
on 30 December 2010
This book is a really good start if your intrested in learning about hacking. I have now moved on to a more advanced book which goes into more depth.