on 21 June 2011
I have only just bought this book and am already on Page 190.

I purchased this book as a reference for the more advanced topics such as PHP, MYSQL and Javascript. But, it has refreshed some of my XHTML & CSS knowledge that I acquired along time ago and have since forgotten.

This book is certainly a true gem, and I would say it is one of the best Dummies books I have purchased.

Andy Harris has a smooth way of writing and is very funny in places.

Would definetly recommend this book to any new web designer or even intermediate professionals.
7 people found this helpful
on 11 September 2011
The book starts with a basic HTML page layout and builds things up from there. The author makes sure that everything is explained thoroughly so that you are never unsure about anything. There are some lengthy sections near the start about validating web pages and editing software, which initially is not particulary relevant but persevere and you'll get to the good stuff.

The chapters in each book are broken down into small sections so that you don't have to read them through in one go. If you enjoy planning like me this is particulary useful for timetabling your study. Like most dummies guides i've read though the onus is on the reader to do their own experimentation with the information they are given. I generally do my own versions of the demonstrations and make notes before moving on.

You will not learn the information in this book overnight, I have been studying for around four months now-not always consistently-and am currently a couple of chapters into book four on JavaScript.I am finding this the most enjoyable so far but have found that some items are not explained very well like Objects and to a lesser extent Functions. For both of these items, it was necessary to study from other sources. Saying that however, I have found that when learning anything, using more then one resource is necessary.

Others sections I have found confusing in Javascript were the explanation of JSON and the use of DOM in Firefox. The former I found difficult to understand because it was explained with such brevity and its inclusion seemed confusing. With regard to the DOM, I had trouble finding some of the items described in the book. When I eventually managed to find something and worked through an example, the result were not as expected and there seemed to be no contingency for this.

I would definately recommend this to anyone who is interested in learning about creating web pages from the ground up because it provided a nice structure from which to direct your learning, but be prepared to find information from other sources too.
4 people found this helpful
on 9 April 2011
This book is a revelation for someone who knows little about web design. The three legged approach of html, xhtml and css is well constructed and thought out. This teaching manual comes with a cd containing worked examples and software so you can either read, or work through, each chapter at your own pace. The goal of the book is to enable you to create your own web page. The content is aimed at improving novices but contains enough technical information to appeal to those who want to proceed to a more advanced level.
5 people found this helpful
on 23 March 2011
I think this book is very good to learn to write web pages. It does get
complicated but the first few chapters are sufficient to be able to write decent
web pages. After that I think that experience in computing would help to understand
some of the topics covered.
5 people found this helpful
on 31 August 2011
This book does exactly what is says on the cover.

Very complete at around a thousand pages.

About all the info you could need.
on 12 November 2011
Have just attended a workshop on basic HTML and website building and need a text book for further learning and support and found this book an excellent teaching aid
One person found this helpful
on 18 September 2011
This is a very good, easy to follow guide for beginners to web developing. I've only read about 250 pages but I'm very pleased with my purchase thus far.
on 26 April 2013
Came when they said it would. It's massive!!! If you have a huge heavy door needing kept open this is perfect. Bought it for my husband and he hasn't put it down!! He has taught himself a lot from this book
on 18 December 2011
it is good book but for JavaScript I recommend to use other books
in html section it explains everything well