Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 December 2000
Wayne Alderson's book covers all the important issues necessary to give anyone who wants to start surfing a fun, safe and informed introduction to this sport. The book takes the beginner through the fundamentals in good detail with clear photographs and illustrations. Since the author is British it is geared to surfers in the UK. However it has a very sensible approach to learning the fundamentals of surfing that anyone can benefit from. It also covers all the ancillary issues such as equipment selection, safety and surfing weather in practical detail. Above all it is easy and fun to read. With more advanced techniques also included it provides support even to intermediate or advanced surfers wanting another angle on surfing at their level. I have surfed in the UK, in Japan, Indonesia and Australia and I find myself using this book as a reference time and again to help refresh and move my surfing to the next level. Read, surf and enjoy.
on 2 August 2003
I got this book a week before my first ever surfing lesson, and it made me feel so much more confident going in the water, answering some of my questions and giving tips just on things like carrying your board, and paddling out, which all seem quite simple, but to a beginner can be a bit overwhelming all put together. It was great to come back to as well, to review what I'd done, and provides some good information on the different types of boards. It also contains some basic information about rips, currents, what forms waves, and what causes them to break, which I also found fascinating. It is very basic, but as a beginner that's all you need, and I'd definitely recommend it to ayone starting out.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 April 2014
I decided to get this book after my first week of surfing lessons, and it greatly added the "theory" which was not communicated/explained enough by the Portuguese surfing instructor. Yes, it is quite basic, but it's full of colourful photographs and covers a wide range of aspects (it touches on history of surfing, various boards, science of the waves, ecology, how to be respectful and polite to your fellow surfers and what NOT to do while you are in the water). For the beginners that is a lot of useful information, and perhaps it will not make much sense if you have not yet had your time on the board, but it will all fall into place once you experienced real life surfing. I would recommend it to any surfing beginner.
on 3 December 2009
Good little book to start off with.
You could have this before you start surfing to get you through the basics of board purchasing etc. or do as i did, and buy it after you have some of the gear and have been a couple of times, so that you can start doing it right.

A little bit more explanation wouldn't go amiss on some of the points but the basics are all there to get out and practice, as well as usefull info on areas such as board repair.

On the whole, a good starting point.
on 30 September 2009
When I started surfing not to long ago and before I had a lesson, I bought this book to give me an introduction to the sport. Its exactly what you need. The author gives you a clear description of each technique and area but isn't so detailed it takes years to read. Its that pefect mix that you desperatly need when starting a new sport or activity. I honestly don't think theres a better book to start you off.
on 29 August 2009
Easy and quick understanding of the key aspects of surfing. Best for beginners but also for intermediate surfers who want to push their surfing to the limits (riding tubes!).
I handed the book to my bloody beginner friends and they had a lot of fun reading in between their surfing sessions. Loved all the background and safety information. I strongly recommend this book for all beginners who really want to dig into surfing. Never give up! Shaka!
on 25 June 2013
Awesome book! This is what you have to have as a beginner. I'm a beginner and I bought the book because I wanted to learn the theory before stepping on a board. Excellent! Good descriptions of moves and a lot of step by step pictures.
on 9 January 2012
Bought for 14 year old beginner surfer...has had his head in and out of it ever since. Nicely written, appropriate help and advice for uk surfers beginners and above. In chunk size easy to read sections. Covers kit, safety, weather and waves, techniques...just wish I'd found this book 6 months ago when my teen started surfing.
on 3 November 2010
If you buy one book when learning to surf, this is the best option. Clear instructions, great pics and the author really relates to what it's like to be starting out as a surfer
on 15 October 2013
Book was in easy to read format with great tips for beginner surfers. Would definitely recommend as a gift for teenage surfers. Easy to order without having to search bookshops. for suitable guide.