on 11 April 2010
If you need a quick yet effective lesson in SSIS 2008, this is the right book for you. It is very hands on and it is not tedious to read.

I had a problem relating an earlier text I'd read on the topic to real work situations, so I wanted a step by step practical guide.

I have not been disappointed, the examples and explanations are practical. I've found this book very helpful indeed. It is very good for beginners because it takes you through the subject, using the simple tools as a foundation for teaching the more complicated ones.
on 14 March 2012
I don't know why anybody who had read this book or watched the video would rate anything higher than a 1 star. I bought this book purely based on the good feedbacks but I found I am completely conned. I start to wonder where those 5 star reviews come from.

There is no way a newcomer would understand what it says on the book. I have learned the SSIS basics but even I found it frustrating to read.

The video, oh no, the video is like a cheap copy of a poor quality DVD. you can't see the words clearly on the video. All you will see is the movement of the pointer from one task to another.

I might have been conned £17, but no more.
on 28 October 2014
I have been writing SQL for about 6 years now & changes in my job have caused me to start venturing onto the thin ice of SSIS packages. This book gave me enough guidance to achieve my simpler goals and get started. It also has a url inside that will lead you to a download site for the DVD which has a series of tuition videos on how to progress. It is well enough organised for me to be able to focus only on the areas of SSIS that I needed and written clearly enough that anyone with a small amount of experience in SQL Server could use it to get going. If you need an introduction then buy this book but if you are creating packages that will go into production then make sure that you have someone much more knowledgeable on hand to warn you of the pitfalls and help you deal with the debugging. There are some things lurking under the bonnet of BIDS that will take you by surprise which can be very difficult to fathom.
on 12 February 2011
This book is certainly very quick to read. There are 49 short chapters described as "micro lessons", with decent step by step instructions, backed up by video demos on the accompanying disc. It covers most of the main control flow and data flow items. I would recommend it to beginners, and anyone looking for a quick reminder on the basics.
on 13 September 2011
The book is well written. It is straight to the point and it serves as a good reference material. Unlike several books out there where errors are spotted making the material more confusing than not, this is an excellently written book. Well done to the Authors!
on 22 November 2011
This book will get you up and running with SSIS. It will give you the knowledge required to use all of the common components. The authors have put a great deal of thought into how they convey their message. Nothing in this book is confusing. The chapters build one after another to cover enough for you to be able to build and deploy basic real world SSIS packages.

It will not make you a guru in this field but will take you from a raw newcomer to a person who understands and can use the common (not just the basic) components.

The videos are excellent and follow the them of the book in that they are not complicated but cover the common tasks.

This book will allow you to get up and running and once you have completed the book you will need one of those massive reference style books.

24 hours is about the time it took me to go from front to back.

Allround excellent