Customer reviews

on 20 July 2017
Very good
on 9 November 2009
Written in Woody's, uh, inimitable style, this is packed with useful information, written by someone who has learnt his stuff the hard way - by rolling up his sleeves and trying it out.

Don't be put off by the title - this book is good for all levels of Windows users, with lots of useful nuggets of information . The book focusses on topics common to all versions, so some features which only appear in Professional and Ultimate, such as xp Mode, are not covered.
on 16 March 2011
I bought Windows 7 All-in-one For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers))as I wanted a book written by Woody Leonhard. I had used his Dummies book for XP and I signed up to both his 'Ask Woody' internet site and 'Windows Secrets' which he contributes to. I've confidently had free access to all the PC safety features I've needed and been able to stay up to date with threats and problems. I bought the new Window's 7 book because I'm really confident in the information I receive, the style is clear and easy to follow. I've most enjoyed getting a decrapifier to take off all the programs I didn't want or need and finding a button to change my cards in spider solitare without ruining my stats! I only haven't given it 5 as this is a massive book. It's great to have a range that has the most basic info, like how to play a DVD to being able to do scary registry manipulation, but there is so much that I spent alot of time flipping backwards and forwards with post-it notes, finding what I needed. I think this was a cheap option which included everything, and I didn't want to miss out on anything I might need. I like his friendly chatty style.
on 24 May 2010
This book is really helpful for learning about Windows 7 and Windows in general.
The book is well set out and the descriptions of problems are good, as well as the solutions.

I would recommend this book to any one using Windows 7.
VINE VOICEon 12 January 2010
I purchased this book for two mains reasons
1)To assist in an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 home edition ( I could never get Vista to work properly)
2) To set up the computer - not purely according to the gospel of Bill Gates and his little software elves

So far both objectives have been achieved.

For anyone who has bought a system with Windows 7 pre installed - use this book as a mini bible to guide you to setting it up as you would like and for maximum security.

For anyone attempting a Vista or a Windows XP upgrade DO download the Microsoft Windows 7 compatibility tool , run a check on your computer system first , read the comments from this assessment and the comments / suggestions as to how to proceed given in this book.

You will gather that the author is fairly jaundiced with Microsoft's steam roller approach with its party line as to how to do things and its attempts to get data ( possibly innocent)from your computer If you want an independent view - and help on the forums on the Authors website , check out this book
on 24 January 2012
I bought this because I migrated to Windows 7 from xp and was totally confused by it. This is a much bigger book than expected, consequently difficult to hold while reading.

I expected this to be a quick reference book, but the index isn't that useful; the detailed contents page is better. However, it's a great book for browsing, just make sure you put book marks in anything you want to refer to later. If you find yourself needing help NOW, it's hard to find the info you need quickly.

The order of the information is illogical in my opinion. One of the first things I like to do with a computer is mess around with the display, customise the menus etc, yet the information required to do this doesn't appear until Book 3, page 225.

Despite all these issues, this Dummies book contains everything you need to know about Windows 7, and some basic stuff you probably don't need to know. For this reason I'd recommend it.
on 13 November 2010
Woody Leonard is a genius that can communicate in an amusing yet profound way.
His Dummies Guide for XP has been my bible in the past and now he has made my transition to Windows 7 a doddle.
You can tell that he enjoys life and his enthusiasm is infectious.
on 25 February 2010
I have some PC knowledge having used one at home for around 10 years. However there is always new stuff to learn as updates and tweeks come on line. I have used these "Dummies" books for different operating systems and applications and have always found them straight forward and easy to follow even as a beginner. Even if you have some experience it is useful to have some sensible advice. The internet is only useful if you can get onto it!!
on 18 October 2010
The book is very easy to follow apart from the constant almost silly remarks of the author. By the time you have trained your chain of thought you are distracted by sentences of smart alec remarks which bear no resemblance to what you have just been reading. Apart from this irritation the book is fairly easy to follow. Eliminate the nonsense and the book would have been far easier to follow.
on 17 September 2013
Couldn't find my way round it. Couldn't find what I wanted. I don't think it was written for dummies, but by someone who already knew how to use it!