on 3 March 2013
After starting my new job, it was very apparent that I needed to brush up on my Excel Skills. This book serves this purpose absolutely incredibly - and then some!

The book can be used as a text book (working from the beginning, through to the end) or as reference material for those times when you want to do something, but are not quite sure how to accomplish it.

The book covers everything from the rudimentary elements of Excel, such as entering data into a cell, all the way through to applying complex VBA programming to your workbooks.

The book also comes complete with a very helpful disc that is full of exercises that are referenced within the text. These prove invaluable as they offer an opportunity to apply your newly acquired knowledge, practically.

Another neat feature of the accompanying CD is that it comes loaded with a fully DRM free, PDF copy of the book. I cannot stress enough how helpful this has been. Having a PDF copy of the book has meant that I have been able to store it on my laptop, and take it everywhere as I work. Better still, having a PDF version of the book makes it very easy to search the text for key words.

All in all, I highly recommend this book if you are serious about getting good With Microsoft Excel.
4 people found this helpful
on 28 May 2013
Almost gave this 5stars but I had a couple of recent Excel problems in mind when I was reading this (yes, I read it from cover to cover) and was disappointed at how they were dealt with. An example is the INDIRECT function which got me out of a real bind recently (before I got this book) but which I would have missed if I had been using this book as my only reference material. I also bought Winston's Data Analysis and Business Modelling which gives great examples of the use of INDIRECT as well as many other practical problem solutions.

I've concluded that Walkenbach's book is best suited to beginner and medium users, whereas Winston's book is suited to medium and advanced users. Good to have both books on hand I think.
7 people found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 3 February 2013
I've not read a huge amount of this, just dipping in and out for specific topics or queries, but each time I've looked I've found the answer I wanted.

One good thing is that it comes with the whole book on high quality pdf on a disc, along with many working Excel examples to match what's discussed in most chapters. I use the pdf in the office as it's indexed, has hyperlinks and is less obtrusive. I'm now able to do more on excel without looking like I'm searching for an answer.

The style of writing is pretty informal and not so technical that you don't understand what's being discussed. It's the sort of book where you're constantly learning new and better ways of doing what you do as part of the day job, so it's money very well spent.

I'd definitely recommend this to even intermediate users, as they're just so much useful information that you're bound to learn things to enhance your use of Excel and get more out of a normally hugely under-utilised product.
2 people found this helpful
on 14 October 2010
I had his 2003 version and became an advanced level through home study - love his sense of humour which makes it sooooo much fun to learn. I'd highly recommend it for anyone (even beginners) and I'm trying to get the Company I work for to buy one for all of the other office staff to use.
23 people found this helpful
on 16 December 2014
John Walkenbach is the man, and this is the book. Engaging style, packed with extraordinary yet USEFUL and accessible detail. A 1000 page masterpiece of its kind. E book included. Perfect bedtime reading if you're as sad as me. For £20?? Come on, what are you waiting for!
on 10 September 2016
This is a great book for any Excel user. It takes you from the basics to the more complicated stuff. I keep it in my draw at work and use it as a reference guide as and when needed.
on 10 January 2014
Purchased so that I could gain more excel experience. It has a learning Video with it and was well worth the using. I have learnt so much and I can also look up on the training video anything that I am not sure of. Very quick and easy to follow the video so that the book is only required for reference purposes.
on 10 July 2012
Having previously taught Excel to adults I can say that this is an extremely exhaustive book on Excel (although to get the most out of Excel you might need a separate book on VBA - one chapter won't be enough). There is a lot of detail here for people who want to know the application's features inside out.

My only real gripe is that the supplementary Excel files are not included with the Kindle version, and don't seem to be available on the publisher's website either. This is quite disappointing.

Other than that, it's an excellent, detailed resource. If you're looking to quickly get your hands dirty then there may be shorter, less detailed books out there.
2 people found this helpful
on 9 January 2016
Excellent book, just what I needed to familiarise myself with the functions in Excel 2010. I'd class myself as an advanced intermediate in Excel and this book is great.
on 19 May 2014
This is an excellent book for anyone who wishes to develop their Excel skills. The included CD accompanies the book.
Both book and Cd are a great reference material. A definite recommendation for purchase. prompt delivery. Many Thanks.