on 18 April 2017
Best book I've bought on BPD
on 3 April 2017
Great book☺
on 3 May 2017
Nothing I didn't know having been diagnosed.
on 4 July 2012
I went to my GP for an eating disorder and over the many months of therapy. I was finally diagnosed with BDP, as I met 5 of the 9 diagnostic criteria. In the sense that I get easily paranoid, fluctuating emotions, self harm, Bulimia etc. On the whole I found diagnosis beneficial as it allowed me to explore and understand some of the quirky aspects of my behaviour. And, some of the more awkward aspects. I am happily married, have an extremely successful career, and a wide circle of friends.

HOWEVER, according to this book I should behave like a psychopath, arguing, being abusive, having stalkerish tendencies, etc. Moreorless Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction. The BDP described in this book is the exact opposite of me. Apparently with the criteria being so broad, there can be at around 250 different types of BDP. This book does not give a generalised view at all. It merely picks up on the more egregious aspects of the mood disorder, and glamourises the worst aspects of it. The most odious sections, are 'How to leave people with BDP?'.

This is a dreadful book. If you have BDP, or have a family member with it, buy 'Lost in the Mirror' it is a far better text. Also, for anyone outside of the USA, this book will of little use. As it makes reference to US laws etc. It advises you not to be open and honest, whereas in the UK with our Equality Laws, I have found being open and honest integral to my treatment. On the whole this book stigmatises people. Steer clear of it.
11 Comment| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 July 2015
Great book. Would recommend it to anyone suffering with BPD
on 23 February 2011
After reading only the introduction, I was quite shocked that this was written my working practitioners.

As a psychiatrist working with BPD, I have to battle everyday with service practitioners, from nurses to my own colleagues, who hold out of date and frankly immoral attitudes to a complicated and distressing illness.

To 'introduce' BPD to a readership implying that people with BPD are 'bad' and 'horrid'is immediately reinforcing popular stigma and negative bias toward a group of individuals with serious mental health conditions, who are already vulnerable enough.

As a consultant psychiatirst - NOT AS A PERSON WITH BPD - I find chapter headings such as 'sensation seeking' abhorrent and not helpful in any way, either to parent, carer or patient.

There are so many better texts out there with regards the subject of BDP, steer clear of this book.

And a note to the writers: - playing around with bias and popular, abhorrent assumptions about BPD for popular sensationlist reasons (or in other words, to sell your Dummy series) is a disgrace - YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!
1010 Comments| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 November 2014
So, after reading these reviews I decided not to buy this book, but to browse the library instead. This were the only book they had on the shelf so I thought what the heck let's try it. Well........ I began to read the introduction and right from the start feel offended. It starts by stating how BPD sufferers are perceived as "worst person in the world" & how health professionals think we're "worst patients in the world" & that BPD patients are incredibly scary to treat because of rage issues.

Maybe I missed the point, but yeah, this made me upset.
on 9 June 2013
It is concerning that this was written by practicing professionals.

The information is out-dated and only stigmatises individuals with BPD. I strongly recommend that you do not buy this book. BPD is a widely mis-understood diagnosis anyway and this book does not help matters!

I'm disappointed that things like this are still being published. More needs to be done to help educate both BPD sufferers and those around them about the condition with accurate information that is both informative and offers some hope.
on 21 November 2010
Having widely read books on borderline personality disorder i found this book very negative and depressing. It did not seem to show empathy or compassion for the person with BPD and uses the more negative terms like manipulative, maladapted and compents on us (BPD Suffers) as co ersive behaviour to get what we want. i stopped reading after only a few chapters. There are better books on the market so I would recommend that you give this book a miss and buy others.
33 Comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 November 2014
For dummies - written by dummies! Not at all helpful to anyone suffering with BPD, or those otherwise affected. Helpful only as a reinforcement of outdated stereotypical nonsense - BPD sufferer.