on 23 August 2010
I received my new Canon 1000D as a gift, of my choice, when I recently retired from work so I decided that I would really need to learn how to use it properly in order to get the best results out of it. Although I have had a number of film and digital point-and-shoot cameras I have never owned any kind of SLR camera, film or digital, before and it is rather daunting to set out to use something you have never used previously and what was such a difference from any camera I have used before. The 1000D for Dummies is certainly helping me to get to grips with the camera and its various functions and I am actually getting some very reasonable shots after following event the most basic instructions in the book. It is very easy to follow and is better than the booklet that came with the camera. I am looking forward to getting even better results once I have managed to get through the all of the book and should, by that time, know the camera and its operation inside out. All in all a great reference book and an easy to follow beginners guide to an excellent digital SLR camera.
7 people found this helpful
on 21 February 2010
I purchased the Canon EOS 1000D in Nov 2009 to migrate from taking simple pictures with a standard digital camera. I want to become a serious photographer, so I bought this book to improve my knowledge of the basic and creative functions of the camera. I found this book to be detailed enough and useful in what I expected. This book is purely aimed at Canon 1000D. The manufacturer's manual is very basic, so this book gives simple explanations and illustrations to those new to this Camera. Those with a solid background in digital photography will not find this book very useful. It simply will not teach anything new to exprienced photographers. To newcomers, my advice is that take your time to go through the book with your camera (if you have bought it already) beside you. Its certainly not for one weekend reading. There are many other books and web sites which can give you various tips into taking amazing pictures with this camera. As I said, this book is just an intro to newbies and I would recommend it.
17 people found this helpful
on 26 February 2015
This book is just the job for some one of my ability I have been taking pictures for many years now. With the advent of DSLR this has changed many factors of the game so much detail on those systems too much for most people to take in . That's where this book takes over very well laid out easy to understand detail. I suppose now im taking proper pictures. I also got one for a family member too
on 22 December 2017
Truly easy to follow. A boon.
on 16 March 2011
If you can get past the dubious American attempt at humour which all Dummies books seem to want to do the content of the book is good, well laid out and informative for a newcomer like me. By its nature it is a large book and very heavy so difficult to take with you on photographic expeditions for reference. Overall worth the money.
on 9 June 2016
Mixed bag - some bits v useful, others too basic for this dummy
on 11 April 2017
Grand
on 12 October 2014
Excellent book. All you will need to know and concise
on 24 August 2015