on 7 January 2004
This is a great little book for the absolute beginner which gently eases you into the baffling world of object orientation. It’s a very light hearted read and makes learning fun. The dedicated student could breeze through this book in a few days and will gain enough knowledge to certainly progress onto more complex matters of software engineering.
on 25 January 2017
the author seems veryconfused as to how to teach a beginner. only the first few pages and the look inside is clear. The rest of the pages have bundles of codes that even a seasoned professional i asked said was too case specific and not for a learner. the author makes you download a list of memory-eating code that you're supposed to use as examples but you end up wondering how to learn from as each file has lots of errors. i may not be using the right kind of terminology but don't waste your money and time on this if you are a complete beginner.
on 12 December 2012
If, like me, you have an interest in getting to grips with Java but have no prior experience of the language, and/or little or no experience of programming generally, then this book offers a great place to start. It represents basic principles in a non-technical way, making good use of analogy to help the reader understand some of the more abstract concepts.

I would therefore recommend this book to anyone starting out on the Java journey.

I would however add that, towards the endof the book, the subjects become more complex and so the content become less and less comprehensive/helpful in terms of developing a full understanding. That's ok though in my view, since it's unrealistic to expect any one 'technical' book to offer all things to all levels of competency.

Instead, the subjects towards the end should be viewed more as an introduction to 'other stuff that Java can do', to whet your appetite. Inevitably though further reading will be required to build a comprehensive understanding of these more complex areas.
on 25 May 2016
This book is could Beginning Programming for Dummies. My son wanted to learn Java. Don't worry I said I am sure I can teach you. Unfortunately I was that dummy. So I bought this book. Amazingly I not only understand it I have been able to teach my son what I have learnt. Before this my programming knowledge was limited to 3 line programs on an Amstrad which said some thing like Hello World.
Now I am a Java expert....well I know a lot more than I did before I read this book. This book has done its job and taught a complete dummy
on 15 November 2003
As a novice programmer I very much enjoyed Beginning Programming with Java for Dummies.Everything was explained in detail with step by step explanations as to how to download software from Sun Microsystems and how to write and compile Java Programs. If you get stuck you can e-mail the author. I certainly got a prompt reply when I did this.There are a number of prewritten programs on the author's own website which you can use to practise running programs and which help you to see how the Java code works in practice. The author gives a clear explanation of what object oriented programming means and gives practical help in understanding error messages and using the Java API documentation. An easy to read book which I am happy to recommend.
on 23 August 2013
I will be studying Java and Android for the next 4 months, so I decided to get a book to try learn some basics beforehand.

I had previously studied C and C++, but was still a bit shaky on programming in general. I found this book a bit easy for the most part, but it was a great refresher on basic concepts along with Java Specific Stuff. I will see in the coming months how I fare in college.

My advice:

- if you have never programmed before this book is perfect for you
- if you have programmed before, maybe you would be better off with the Java For Dummies book,as this book may be a bit easy for you
on 15 May 2013
My computer literate 10 year old has been teaching himself Java with this. I think that says it all. Simple enough to understand but complex enough to captivate.
on 2 October 2012
This is a well written and enjoyable introduction to Java. Clearly nobody is going to master Java without a lot of practice, however, this book does give some insights into the language and I found it interesting and helpful.The great strength of this particular book is the support given by the author who has a website and also answered an individual e-mail inquiry. I was tremendously impressed.
on 31 January 2015
Fantastic book. Barry explains every concept really clearly, with really good examples, broken down into clear sections. He's also very funny! And helpful too - I posted a question on his Facebook wall and he replied very quickly.

Love this book!
on 17 April 2013
This is a great book to introduce you to java. Its brilliantly written and very easy to follow. From setting up an IDE to writing your first little program, everything is explained so well whether you have a pc or mac. If you're looking for somewhere to start this is the book for you.