HALL OF FAMEon 19 June 2009
`Basic Maths and Pre-Algebra Workbook for Dummies' is the accompanying workbook to the main dummies textbook of the same name. It is in a slightly larger format than the main book and is printed on much inferior paper, but the information inside is great. In some respects you don't need the main book to get the most from this workbook. Each chapter introduces the key concepts, shows you how to do the equations, then proceeds to provide some problems for you to solve, before giving the answers at the end of the chapter. You can get a great deal from this book alone and the main `Basic Maths and Pre-Algebra for Dummies' book only provides the same information but fleshes it out and goes into greater depth. If you're goal is to brush up on existing skills then you can quite easily buy this book on it's own. If it's to gain a fuller knowledge of math or if you're starting from scratch, then using both books is probably the better option. This follows the typical `dummies' format, and if you have read any other of the dummies book you'll know what to expect. There is the slightly tongue in cheek text delivery, clear icons and obligatory part of tens at the back. As I noted on my review for the main book, I worked my way through this, accompanied with the main book that goes with it, and my math skills increased incredibly. I realised I knew a lot of this information from school, but this book gave me the confidence to use it and it refreshed my memory about how certain equations are done. This is a good book to get some math practise and a great place to turn if you want to beat those maths demons.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
16 people found this helpful
on 12 February 2015
Rather expensive for what you get in comparison of other books in the series, in as much as it's cheaply printed on low grade paper. The paper used is of very poor quality compared to other books in the 'For Dummies' range, it's somewhat consistent with newspaper paper.

I purchased the book for my daughter, to help with her maths. I can't really fault the contents which are on the whole well presented.
on 9 February 2011
This book seems quite detailed and covers a whole range of topics, but considering it's meant to be written for dummies, I didn't find it easy to understand at all! I employed a private Maths tutor and took the book along with me on one occasion. He said himself that the methods used in the book were not the simplest.
3 people found this helpful
on 10 January 2018
Good
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 5 November 2016