on 7 March 2010
This book is simply the best. It's worth the money, believe me. Although it doesn't spend lots of time on the basics (the author skims through basic shell knowledge in the first chapter), this book contains *ANYTHING* you will need to know about Unix shell scripting. Before this book I bought "Classic Bash scripting" but it was nothing compared to Randal's book, and I'm not talking only about book "volume". After starting with bash scripting I soon had additional needs, such as functions to display users progress of a long running task, timing functions, rsync, process management, the use of expect to automatically interact with interactive programs, etc). This book has it all; especially it's divided into three sections, depending on the needs: The first section is about the basics of Shell programming (oh and BTW it covers BASH, Bourne and KORN). The second part is for programmers, testers and analysts, and it covers topics such as working with record files, FTP, rsync, finding large files, process monitoring, etc; the third part is aimed at system administrators, and it covers file monitoring, monitoring paging and swap space, system load , stale disk partitions, etc.

Every page of this book is gold for the brain and for our professional luggage. I strongly recommend this book to whoever wants to write anything more than a simple echo "Hello world" bash script.
on 12 November 2013
Bought this for my kindle - wasn't overly impressed but this served as a reasonable introduction to commands. Struggled following some examples as the commands aren't exactly the same across all versions of unix - e.g. echo -e processed escaped characters whilst echo (as in the book) did not automatically do this.

The ideas/concepts were fine but I felt the book was a little outdated.
on 24 September 2012
Great book! Goes in details in shell programming. Everything is covered. If you master this book, no other book can give you anything more. That's it! You are done with shell scripting.

I was working on a 12'000 line project. This book helped me a lot. I improved by style, learnt a new tricks and also manage to rewrite some modules to significantly decrease the execution time therefore increase the performance of my script.

The chapter that gives 24 ways to process a file line per line is a must read. You don't need to remember all those methods. My default is now the fastest one and I don't think about other less effective methods.

Must have for any Linux/Unix Admin.
on 28 August 2014
Many worked out examples and a great variety of different tasks that one might bump into, solvable through shell scripting.
Different approaches are also described for the same task like file access, mathematical operations etc.
Recommended!